* AwesomeMusic: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Dlrq2rDSE Quan Chi]]
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: At one point in the game, Sub-Zero fights a [[DinosaursAreDragons fire-breathing dinosaur]]. Where did it come from? Not really explained. It was never brought up earlier, and it's never shown or mentioned after it's killed.
* DieForOurShip: Poor Sareena. Don't you know just how much [[FanDumb Fangirls]] hate it when a canon female character is paired up with a MrFanservice?
** Quan Chi. [[CreatorsFavorite The creators just love this guy]], and so do a lot of fans.
** Sareena, who is most likely the best example of this next to [[CanonImmigrant Quan Chi]]. Despite debuting in an unpopular spinoff, there was quite a bit of fan interest to see her return for future games. [[WhatCouldHaveBeen After several attempts]] to make it into the series proper, she's finally made playable in ''[[VideoGame/MortalKombatArmageddon Armageddon]]'', where she proves to be a [[ShipTease valuable]] [[BattleCouple ally]] of Younger Sub-Zero and is made into a top-tier character.
* EvilIsSexy: Sareena ([[HeelFaceTurn at first]]), as well as Kia and Jataaka.
* MemeticMutation: Rapidly having Sub-Zero turn back and forth causes Sub-Zero break into this sort of jig/shuffle. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslA8DmUJbc It has]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXinZXRXjs been dubbed]] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBYv1dKSRU by fans as]] "The Sub-Zero Dance".
** Shinnok's epically smug trollface seen after [[spoiler:he kills Sareena]] is also catching on.
* Narm: The FMVS... are kind of laughable.
* OlderThanTheyThink: The MortalKombat fighting engine was first moved to an adventure game by ''Film/BatmanForever'' for the Super Nintendo. As you might guess, the game was full of ScrappyMechanic like here.
* ScrappyMechanic: The transition from a fighting game to an action game brought multiple issues:
** Sub-Zero's walking animation is terribly slow. He walks just like in the fighting game. The player can try running but they will become defenseless.
** Platforming is incredibly complicated in the second stage. There are platforms that spin 360 degrees and getting to them is close to guessing.
** Changing direction from left to right requires to press one of R/L buttons rather than the directional buttons. As a result the player will be defenseless while doing it.
** Players who try Easy will feel slapped in the face when the game ends with a cliffhanger and they have to replay the entire game in a harder difficulty to actually finish it.
* ThatOneBoss: Wind God Fujin is a pain to everybody. To make it worse when he is weakened he tries a Kamikaze technique and figuring out how to avoid it takes some time.
** Shinnok can also be this if you want to actually defeat him rather than just stealing his amulet.
* ThatOneLevel: Level 2 is probably the game's hardest level based on its multiple platforming and ThatOneBoss.
** Even Level 1 can be this if due to its incredibly annoying traps.