* GoodAdulteryBadAdultery: Loretta falling in love with Ronny, in spite of her engagement to Johnny, is portrayed as a love story.[[note]]To be fair, 1) Loretta's not married (though being engaged is pretty close), 2) Loretta isn't exactly pleased with the situation, and 3) Johnny pretty much walks away from her to go to Italy and barely contacts her afterwards.[[/note]] Cosmo cheating on his wife Rose with Mona… not so much.
* HilariousInHindsight[=/=]RealitySubtext: Ronny, Cher's on-screen beau, and Rob Camiletti, Cher's real-life beau at the time the movie was shot, were both bakers.
* MemeticMutation: "Snap out of it!"
* OneSceneWonder: [=Gina DeAngeles=] (previously a OneSceneWonder in ''Film/BroadwayDannyRose'') steals the one scene she's in at the airport with Loretta.
* [[SugarWiki/HeReallyCanAct They Really Can Act]]: Cher and even Nic Cage to a certain extent. While Cher is more obvious with her Oscar, Cage up to that point had been known for very odd and off kilter roles until this film (where he still plays such a character) which showed his range and got him a Golden Globe nomination. The film was also Olympia Dukakis' coming out party as an actress; watch her eyes when Johnny wonders if men cheat because they fear death.