* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Is Jackrum a leader and father of men, or a dinosaur, stuck in the old ways of fighting a war?
** The reason he retires is that he realizes it's BOTH.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Tonker and Lofty, our [[spoiler:GirlsLove duo]] have quite of a fandom on their own.
* GeniusBonus: In-universe, a few characters get Polly's references to the folk song "Sweet Polly Oliver" when creating her male alter-ego (although those that do are already smart enough to have figured her out anyway).
** Anyone familiar with the quotation which the title refers to will probably figure out that [[spoiler: all the recruits are women]] fairly early on.
* LesYay: Aside from Tonker and Lofty, Wazzer and [[spoiler:Maledicta]] get very close with Polly.
* MagnificentBastard: Jackrum behaves like this sometimes.
** Blouse's PingPongNaivete also puts him on this side once in a while, but, of course, he's out-bastarded by Jackrum.
** Jackrum thinks Polly's becoming this. By the end of the book, she's definitely set in at ManipulativeBastard level at least.