* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Is Jackrum a leader and father of men, or a dinosaur, stuck in the old ways of fighting a war?
** The reason he retires is that he realizes it's BOTH.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Tonker and Lofty, our [[spoiler:GirlsLove duo]] have quite of a fandom on their own.
* GeniusBonus: In-universe, a few characters get Polly's references to the folk song "Sweet Polly Oliver" when creating her male alter-ego (although those that do are already smart enough to have figured her out anyway).
** Anyone familiar with the quotation which the title refers to will probably figure out that [[spoiler: all the recruits are women]] fairly early on.
* LesYay: Aside from Tonker with Lofty, Wazzer and [[spoiler:Maladicta]] get very close with Polly.
* MagnificentBastard: Jackrum behaves like this sometimes.
** Blouse's PingPongNaivete also puts him on this side once in a while, but, of course, he's out-bastarded by Jackrum.
** Jackrum thinks Polly's becoming this. By the end of the book, she's definitely set in at ManipulativeBastard level at least.
* NightmareFuel: The Girls' Working School. [[NothingIsScarier We don't actually learn that much about what goes on in there]], but from what the characters say and from the effect it's had on [[spoiler:Tonker, Lofty and Wazzer]], we learn that it is horrendously abusive.
* StealthPun: A very well hidden Stealth Pun that might be accidental. A mystery voice giving Polly some advice and a pair of socks says: "You don't bulge where you shouldn't bulge, but you don't bulge where you should bulge. People notice whats missing more than they notice what's there. Just one pair mind you. Don't get ambitious." Some tropers might notice words that are missing, like "Don't get cocky".