** The second game got its own [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO40r_qvKC8 intro music]], which some would argue is better than the first one.
*** And its [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_RP0LshcCs Special Edition version]].
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjjcADiPg7A The Underground Tunnels]], a surprisingly creepy piece for this series.
** The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXDEYu8aGuM Scabb Island map]].
** Stan got a new [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAu6JFZEk4U theme]] in this game, which was so great it became his new theme song for the rest of the series.
** The guitar riff in [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGEc2yliis this song]] is almost otherworldly.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhU2PfbUbBk This song]] is surprisingly epic too.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The dream sequence. Okay, it is referenced later on [[spoiler:as the solution to a puzzle]] but three games and decades later, we still have no idea why it happened or [[MindScrew what the fuck it was supposed to mean]].
* CrossesTheLineTwice: Locking Stan up inside on of his own coffins.
* EvenBetterSequel: DarkerAndEdgier than the original but still with many of same ingredients plus a longer story with more islands and puzzles scattered around, adding a bit of non linear gameplay. Back in the day the GainaxEnding worked as a great SequelHook for a conclusion game which eventually [[WhatCouldHaveBeen never happened]] . RonGilbert is on record (2011) wishing he'd resume his trilogy some day though.
* HilariousInHindsight: A pirate gloating about having a bucket of mud... isn't that a bit like [[PiratesOfTheCaribbean a pirate gloating about having a jar of dirt]]?
** "That is a nice-looking beard. One thing's for sure... [[BlatantLies I am never shaving this off]]."
** Guybrush's beard in the original version of this game is probably about as badass as he can ever realistically hope for. The Special Edition reduces it to wispy fuzz that barely even qualifies as a beard at all, but this leads to some HilariousInHindsight moments since Guybrush spends the whole game talking about how much effort it took him to grow his beard, when it's barely even noticeable (which Wally eventually calls him out on in [[VideoGame/TheCurseOfMonkeyIsland the sequel]]).
** Towards the end of the game, [=LeChuck=] claims he has a surprise for Guybrush. One if the dialog choices for a response is "I don't suppose it's a Nintendo game..." (Changed to "[=LucasArts=] game" in the Special Edition) About a decade and a half later, [[VideoGame/TalesOfMonkeyIsland Guybrush would appear on a Nintendo console]].
* NightmareFuel: This is certainly the scariest of the series. For specific examples, see below.
** [=LeChuck=] chasing Guybrush around [[spoiler: with a voodoo doll in the tunnels beneath Dinky Island]] is terrifying. While you're desperately trying to solve the last puzzle of the game, there's this dread that at any point, [=LeChuck=] could come in and send Guybrush screaming in pain into the next room. For a little kid trying to finish the game while watching the loveable pirate being [[ColdBloodedTorture tortured]], this game is an anciety-inducing masterpiece.
** Guybrush's parents come back in his dream, and then their skin melts off. Then the scene goes funny again when they start dancing. But the scene goes scary again when [=LeChuck=] shows up, turns into YOU, and then kills you the same way you killed him in the first game. It's not exactly ''Film/TheExorcist'', but it can be pretty freaky when you're a kid.
** The first time you enter the bolted tunnels under the waterfall. You've been enjoying the AnachronismStew up till now, but there is something just so incredibly ''wrong'' about those tunnels. Unfortunately, this stems from having to reuse the backgrounds [[spoiler:from the final area of the game]] due to the lack of disk space. [[http://mixnmojo.com/galleries/full/full20100708143833.png It was originally going to be more elaborate and less nightmare-ish.]]
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: A surprisingly large amount of fans were upset that the Special Edition omitted the original version's title sequence, even though it would have been slightly redundant when you can listen to the main theme in its entirety in the main menu. The Bone Song's music was also out of sync with the lyrics. A patch released on July 29 restored both the original intro and credit sequence for the classic version, as well as addressing the issues with [=iMuse=] music and sound effects and fixing the lyrical sync with the Bone Song; interestingly, the intro is fully voiced, meaning that they had at least planned on making an HD remasterization of it, one can only hope they do it in a future patch...
** Much like in [[VideoGame/TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland the game's predecessor]], the SamAndMax cameos were removed because of copyright reasons, although in the case of the previous game, the Sam & Max totem was at least replaced with one in the likeness of [[VideoGame/DayOfTheTentacle Purple Tentacle]]...
* ValuesDissonance: Apparently it's not acceptable to make jokes about white slavery anymore.
* TheWoobie: Wally.