* AwardSnub: Wasn't remembered at Oscar time, ignored in favor of ''Film/GoodFellas'' and ''Film/TheGodfatherPartIII''. Granted, ''Film/GoodFellas'' deserved the love, but ''Part III''? It was just a rough year to be an epic gangster film.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: "Danny Boy", which shows up in a scene that doubles as a SugarWiki/MomentOfAwesome and a [[SugarWiki/FunnyMoments Funny Moment]] while featuring BottomlessMagazines. Carter Burwell's score is also impressive.
* BetterOnDVD: You'll need multiple viewings to [[FridgeBrilliance understand the plot completely.]]
* FoeYay: Eddie Dane towards Tom Reagan. Actually, all of the sexual tension in the movie qualifies as FoeYay because almost everyone in the movie is pitted against everyone else.
* FridgeBrilliance: How did Tom figure he could get away with pretending to shoot Bernie without any witnesses in the woods? [[spoiler:Because he already knew Bernie, being a [[ChronicBackstabbingDisorder chronic back-stabber]], would want to blackmail Tom for that "act" of mercy. And would have to stage someone else's body when Caspar or the Dane would check for one, to keep Tom alive.]] Tom did it [[spoiler:because killing Bernie ''then'' wouldn't save Leo from Caspar's war]].
** Why such a ridiculously complicated plan in setting everyone against each other? Eddie Dane -- the Dane nearly saw through everything anyway on multiple occasions, with Tom's luck alone saving him.
** An offhand remark from Leo early in the film, as well as the depiction of both characters, suggests Tom's the real power in Leo's regime. While Tom's forced out by movie's end, he ultimately still does Leo a favor by putting him in a position where Tom's no longer needed, since Leo's the only man left standing.
* HateSink: Bernie is a smirking, backstabbing waste of flesh.
* HilariousInHindsight: Hilarious in production, actually. Miller's Crossing features [[DirtyCop a venal and corrupt police force]]. To fit the Prohibition-era setting, a lot of shooting was done in New Orleans... where the crew ran into NOPD officers who eagerly solicited bribes to keep the shoot running smoothly.
* MagnificentBastard: Tom.
* OneSceneWonder: Film/SteveBuscemi as Mink.
* SugarWiki/MomentOfAwesome: Usually 'Danny Boy' is there to heighten or foreshadow tragedy. Leo plays it while lounging around in his bathrobe when guys burst in with tommyguns in hand and their hats on their heads, he sure looks like the SacrificialLion. But not quite. For added Badassery, he casually relights his cigar with his smoking gun while gazing at the flaming wreckage. Also doubles as SoundtrackDissonance.
** "What heart?"
* VindicatedByHistory: While it wasn't particularly successful when it was first released, ''Time'' magazine in 2005 chose ''Miller's Crossing'' as one of the 100 greatest movies ever made since the inception of the periodical.
* WhatAnIdiot: Frankie and Tic-Tac, who don't bother to actually watch Tom make the kill that's supposed to prove his loyalty. The Dane later beats the crap out of them for their stupidity.