* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Could Maya's impulsiveness and inability to hear others out until her schemes have already backfired be signs of ADHD?
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: Those random guessing games that appeared at the end of each episode, featuring four TotallyRadical teens describing a mystery object for the audience to identify, all while rhyming and rapping through their clues.
* EarWorm: "''It's Maya and Miguel, what they do next you never can tell, it's Maya and Miguel, brothers and sisters and best friends as well''"
* MorePopularSpinoff: ''WesternAnimation/WordGirl'', which originated as a series of shorts that aired during this show, went on to become one of [=PBS's=] most popular shows that ran for eight seasons and still sees regular airtime on many PBS affiliates to this day. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who remembers the comparatively short-lived ''Maya & Miguel'', however, and many PBS affiliates have long since dropped it.
* NightmareFuel: In one episode, Maya and Miguel [[TheBet make a bet]] about who can go longer without their forfeit (coming up with a plan to help solve a problem for Maya; playing video games for Miguel). While most of the episode is just weird as Maya keeps a lid on her attempts to help and Miguel's attempts at the same backfire so badly Maya's antics are stated to be preferable, late in the episode, Miguel has a nightmare where he's confronted by the villain of one of his video games and when he begs Maya for help, she ''leaves him to die with a cheerful statement that she's not allowed to help and a wave goodbye''.
* TastesLikeDiabetes: Miguel's Valentine's Day costume is practically made of this; his horror at having been chosen to wear it for the entire day is pretty justified.
* ToyShip: Miguel/Maggie.
* ValuesDissonance: In one episode, the twins convince their mother to serve as their soccer coach, only to renege when the work becomes too much for them, leading to her replacement by Coach [[MeaningfulName Domblowski]], a decidedly slower guy who has a harder time staying focused.