* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Hedwig as a secret agent reporting to an unnamed shadowy owl organization. Also Harry's diary entries, especially the first one, where a slightly unhinged Harry is friends with the spiders in his cupboard and reads them poetry.
* AuthorAppeal: Mark's vision of Hagrid, "a mix of Henry Rollins, Frank Zappa, and Lemmy from Motorhead. Only ''much larger''."
* AuthorFilibuster: Mark frequently stops his reviews to express how he relates to the book's various takes on racism, classism, privilege, white supremacy, British politics, [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking why Percy is so goddamn annoying]], etc. He even [[LampshadeHanging lampshades]] the negative side in one of his early Prisoner of Azkaban chapter reviews: "why am I unable to review anything without making it all '''[[ItsAllAboutMe ME ME ME ME ME ME ME]]'''". Since TropesAreNotBad, he usually integrates his commentary into the actual review, especially [[TearJerker when he starts writing about]] [[TheWoobie his past]].
* FriendlyEnemy: The Buzznet commenter [[DeadpanSnarker bradsmith]], who initially expressed animosity towards ''Harry Potter'' and very slowly becomes a fan. Slightly subverted in that he said the series only won him over in the end due to the much better writing in the later books.
* HilariousInHindsight: In his first review from Harry's point of view, he made a running gag of the fact that Harry was friends with the spiders in his cupboard. Mark himself found this hilarious in his reread, since spiders nearly kill Harry and Ron in the very next book.
%%* LoveItOrHateIt: Not the blog itself, but the occasional review that only consists of transcribed IM conversations he had with his friend Kasper while reading the chapter for the first time can be fairly grating for some.
* MorePopularSpinoff: His ''Harry Potter'' blog is way more popular than his initial ''Mark Reads Twilight'' blog.
* SpoilAtYourOwnRisk: Never, ever, ever, '''''[[RuleOfThree EVER]]''''' spoil any of the remaining Harry Potter plotline in the comments. Or Mark will destroy you. You have been warned...
* WeAllLiveInAmerica: Early in his reviews Mark tended to write from a very narrow American perspective, making fun of certain aspects of Hogwarts like school houses, which are also part of the normal British [[strike: private]] public school system. This was later lampshaded in his reread.
%% What happens to him? * TheWoobie: Oh god, multiplied by ''infinity''. If you didn't want to grab Mark and give him the warmest, most loving hug in history, you HAVE NO SOUL.