* BreatherLevel: Rainbow Road, despite being a ridiculously long course and having Chain Chomps, is far easier than the previous level, Banshee Boardwalk.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwZT3CvpMw&fmt=18 The Staff Roll]], such an amazing, happy and heartwarming song.
** The theme for [[http://youtu.be/K5xdue7GFcc Rainbow Road]] is also pretty catchy.
* CharacterTiers: Almost nobody likes the Heavy characters, they are incredibly slow and useless on turns and offroads. This game probably introduced a real tier system.
** That said, there are skilled players who know how to drift boost (drifting is how you don't lose speed while turning after all) and use the characters' weight to their advantage. And really, if you're going off-road without stars or mushrooms you're not playing well anyway.
* ContestedSequel: Many people consider it inferior. Others consider it the part where the series began to GrowTheBeard
* GoddamnedBats: Banshee Boardwalk.
* MostAnnoyingSound: Peach's lines of "Herewego!!!", "Peachy", and "Ayieee". She never shuts up either!
** Yoshi Valley is a huge labyrinth on narrow cliff sides, and the computer doesn't keep track of your places. Oh, and there is a huge egg near the end that can crush you.
** Banshee Boardwalk is easily the hardest course in the game, lots of very sharp turns and drop offs, with very little room for error.
** Toad's Turnpike on Extra Cup, where not only the turns, but the ''cars'' change direction.
!!The racers have the following [[CompetitiveBalance balance tropes]] associated with them:
* TheMario: The middleweight racers, with average speed and maneuverability.
** Mario: Good speed and turning, and slightly more resilient than other middleweight characters.
** Luigi: Very similar to Mario, but with average speed and weaker strength--however, this is compensated by his slightly better handling and acceleration.
* FragileSpeedster: These are the lightweight racers, who have better speed and acceleration, but tend to lose speed on turns and can be spun out easily.
** Peach: Great speed and good power slide, and she is able to jump a little farther than other racers, which makes her ideal for using some shortcuts.
** Toad: Very good acceleration, speed, handling and power slide and can jump quite far, but his light weight makes it easy heavy for other racers to make him spinout.
** Yoshi: Great acceleration, speed, handling, and power slide in turns.
* MightyGlacier: These are the heavyweight racers have lower speed than the others, but lose less speed on turns, and can make other racers spin out on collision, and as a bonus cannot spin out themselves.
** Bowser: Good speed and turning, has great strength (but not on par with DK) but is hampered by his poor acceleration.
** Donkey Kong: The strongest racer in the game, who can effortlessly spin out smaller racers. Has great speed, but poor acceleration.
** Wario: He has the best acceleration and handling of the heavyweights, but suffers from poor speed and is the weakest of the three heavyweights.