** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwZT3CvpMw&fmt=18 The Staff Roll]], such an amazing, happy and heartwarming song.
** The theme for [[http://youtu.be/K5xdue7GFcc Rainbow Road]] is also pretty catchy.
* BreatherLevel: Rainbow Road, despite being a ridiculously long course and having Chain Chomps, is far easier than the previous level, Banshee Boardwalk.
* CharacterTiers: Few players like the Heavy characters, they are incredibly slow and useless on turns and offroads. This game probably introduced a real tier system.
* ContestedSequel: Many people consider it inferior. Others consider it the part where the series began to GrowTheBeard.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Believe it or not, a ''Thwomp'' got this treatment- the green Thwomp locked in Bowser Castle, actually a regular Thwomp with a lighting in the cell that makes him appear green. Fans gave him the AffectionateNickname "Marty" and posted hackneyed ideas about how to unlock him.
* GameBreaker: If you happen to have a Spiny Shell and hold Z, you'll trail the shell behind you. As long as you don't release Z and shoot it, it will stay behind you, providing yourself a pretty wicked shield. Since the shell only destroys itself when hitting the racer in first and has priority over all other items, it will not go away no matter how many items (or racers) hit it. [[SchmuckBait Just don't shoot it once you're in first place.]]
** Found in Banshee Boardwalk. They slow you down and are pretty hard to avoid.
** The cars of the Toad's Turnpike course. Even more so in mirror mode.
* MostAnnoyingSound: Every racer's lines can potentially be this, especially if it's the RubberbandAI constantly passing you.
** Yoshi Valley is a huge labyrinth on narrow cliff sides, and the computer doesn't keep track of your places. Oh, and there is a huge egg near the end that can crush you.
** Banshee Boardwalk is easily the hardest course in the game, lots of very sharp turns and drop offs, with very little room for error.
** Toad's Turnpike on Extra Cup, where not only the turns, but the ''cars'' change direction.
** Wario's Stadium has a huge jump in the middle of it which if you manage to fall in the middle by screwing up or getting hit by something while jumping, Lakitu doesn't carry you back to the other side and instead you're forced to race back into the ramp to do another jump. It'll screw you up so badly in the rankings that you've pretty much automatically lost the race.
** If Banshee Boardwalk isn't the hardest track in the game for someone, Bowser's Castle will be. It has a massive array of hazards in the first half of the track up to the short lava bridge. Get hit by any of them on 150cc or Extra while racing computers will easily allow one of them to not only take the lead, but [[RubberBandAI stay in the lead thanks to the inhuman top speeds they can reach when you can't see them]].
** Royal Stadium (Princess Peach's Stage) isn't as bad as the abovementioned courses, but it has many narrow turns that are easy to fall off and one of them leads to the water.