* FridgeBrilliance: In ''Time to Depart'', after the death of [[spoiler: Nonnius]], Petro is alerted to the death by a team of vigiles who came for him because of the pot shoved on the body's head, their leader just happening to remember that particular pot on the list of stolen property from the Emporium raid. [[spoiler: It's a clue that he's one of the many vigiles in Balbinus' employ, who was indirectly sending Petro a message.]]
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: In-text example- in ''Shadows in Bronze'', Falco, Petro and Larius go to Pompeii. One of the first things Falco says about it is that it's obviously a place that intends to last. In the next few lines, he points out that yes, he did know what happened to Pompeii, but it was eight years before the eruption, and everyone who thought Vesuvius was a volcano had concluded that it was extinct.
* NightmareFuel: [[spoiler: Famia's]] death in ''Two For the Lions''.
** [[spoiler: Domitian's death]] in ''Master and God''. It took a long time, even with one party armed the other unarmed. [[spoiler: Vinius]] had to step in just to finally end it. It was ''gory''.
** The death of [[spoiler: Rufius Constans]] in ''A Dying Light In Corduba''. He and a friend tried to do some heavy lifting for a job that should have taken four men at least, not one able-bodied man and another with a sprained back. [[spoiler: His chest got crushed by a millstone, and his 'friend' bailed on him and left him to die alone, in agony.]]
* TearJerker: Falco's description of the aftermath of the Boudiccan Revolt, [[spoiler: Sosia's death]] in ''The Silver Pigs.''
** The funeral of [[spoiler: Geminus and Marcus Didius Justinianus]] - and the circumstances that led to [[spoiler: the baby not getting his own funeral in the first place]]. ValuesDissonance played for heartbreak.
---> [[spoiler: So on the sun-drenched slopes of the Janiculan Hill, one long, strange July evening, we paid our respects to Marcus Didius Favonius. Neither he nor tiny Marcus Didius Justinianus would have to face the dark alone. Wherever they were going, they set off there together, with my tiny son clasped for eternity in the strong arms of his grandfather.]]
** The death of [[spoiler: Veronica]] in ''The Course Of Honour'':
---> The silence rang out through [[spoiler: Veronica's]] house. Caenis went home.
** The fact that even decades after his son's death, Geminus couldn't face writing him out of the will.
** Falco and Helena end up having [[spoiler: four children. Only two of them make it.]]
* WhatAnIdiot: Petro. He's a philanderer, and he decides to fuck [[spoiler: Balbina Milvia, a notorious gangster's daughter- to be precise, the daughter of the gangster Petro managed to put away. Of all the women in the world, he went for the one that ensured him a lifetime feud with anyone connected to her.]]
* TheWoobie: Petro. He really loves his kids and his wife. [[spoiler: His wife leaves him, taking custody of his kids... and then two of them die while he's abroad.]]