* BrokenBase: The late 1990s saw a drama-filled political schism among developers and players alike, leading to a splinter MUD called ''Lost Dawning'' (originally a "tutorial MUD" for ''Lost Souls'') that was dedicated to what ''Lost Souls'' had been before it was Ruined Forever by a developer called Chaos. (Chaos now runs ''Lost Souls'' completely, and ''Lost Dawning'' is dead.) Another base-breaking came circa 2004 when massive code revisions remade the game so as to be nearly unrecognizable to older players.
* DemonicSpiders: Probably best exemplified by scrub [=NPCs=] with "amulets of retribution", items that hit you back (once) if you hit their wearer with an attack of a specific type. Also literally, as with the rhax species, and depending on how broadly you want to apply "demonic", the spider lloigor Nachthla.
* EpilepticTrees: The complexity of the systemry regularly leads players to come down with fits of contagious apophenia. A historically popular topic for this has been the effects of different colors of [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/LostSoulsMUD flux weapons]].
* GoddamnedBats: Rats and bats can be a bit of a pain for newbies because of their dodginess.
* SerialNumbersFiledOff: A trend for the past few years has been to rename things that were originally based on other people's intellectual property in some way.
* ThatOneBoss: The spider lloigor Nachthla, a being of primal power whose idea of fun is making physical forms for itself that embody the principle of predation.