* AwardSnub: For more than some, Bill Murray's loss for Best Actor to Creator/SeanPenn for ''Film/MysticRiver'' was this, along the same lines as Creator/MickeyRourke's loss to Penn five years later.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: Par for the course with a movie with little, if any, actual plot. [[TropesAreNotBad So it either works for you]] [[LoveItOrHateIt or it doesn't.]]
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: "[[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_urpYJZUI&hd=1 Alone In Kyoto]]" by Air is a wonderfully dreamlike electronic piece that plays during one of the scenes. It was beautifully placed.
** As mentioned on the main page too, the splendidly melancholic, but hopeful, "Just Like Honey" by Jesus and the Mary Chain, as the closing song.
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: Many, but particularly the conversation in bed ("You're not hopeless"), their reconciliation after the fire alarm, and the ending farewell, which also counts as a TearJerker.
* LoveItOrHateIt: As Creator/RogerEbert noted, many people find the film mind-numbingly dull, as "nothing happens". On the other hand, many (including Ebert) find the casual meandering part of the film's appeal.
* TheWoobie: Bob and Charlotte, two lonely souls drawn together in a land and in lives where they feel shut out.The film invites audiences to relate to them as such, as Ebert states that the film is "an excercise in empathy".