* AdaptationDisplacement: Inspired by the book ''The World Without Us'' which, due to its success and also perhaps because it was named one of ''Time'' Magazine's Books of the Year for 2007, suddenly made this subject very popular. The Magazine/NationalGeographic Channel also had a [[DuelingShows very similar show]] at the same time called ''Aftermath: Population Zero''.
* HarsherInHindsight: It is now very sad to watch life being formed on Enceladus 2 million years after Cassini–Huygens crashes on its surface. Why? Because in the real life, on 15th September 2017, Cassini–Huygens entered Saturn's atmosphere... and was incinerated.
* InferredHolocaust: Not just the humans, but the animals that are bound to die in our absence. Some of them may even become ''extinct!''
* NauseaFuel: "Last Supper" (Season 2, Episode 4) features a Fort Worth, Texas supermarket that was abandoned for several months in 1999 [[WayPastTheExpirationDate with all the food still inside it]], and goes into great detail about what happens when you leave an entire grocery store's worth of food sitting unattended in the summertime in Texas.[[note]]After complaints from neighbors over the smell, the supermarket was fumigated and stripped to the bare walls.[[/note]]
* SpecialEffectsFailure: It's clear that the show's CG effects budget wasn't exactly stellar, so most of the cheaper looking renderings are excusable. But in the episode "Sin City Meltdown", when the wax figures are shown melting, it's so painfully obvious that they're just using smudge and liquify tools for the scene, looking like they're straight out of Photoshop.