* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The end of "Funhouse", which, instead of ending on Cal and Emily and the burned birthday cake, gives us a mouse's-eye-view tour of the Lightman Group, ending by finding the mousetrap Cal set at the beginning of the episode.
** Andrew Jenkins from season 1's "Blinded" is a SerialRapist whose crime spree involved raping 12 women. When he was done, Jenkins would focus their gaze on him before he blinded them so he would be the last thing they ever saw. Knowing a copycat of his is out there and kidnapping a woman to blind and rape, Jenkins enjoys playing a twisted game with hero Cal Lightman as Lightman tries to save the woman. With a reach extending outside prison, Jenkins has a guard pass letters to his copycat by threatening the man's daughters and promises Lightman his copycat's next victim will be someone Lightman loves.
** From the same episode comes Jenkins's copycat, [[spoiler:Paul Russell]], who is also a SerialRapist who collaborates with Jenkins to gain as many rape victims as possible. Not content with just raping and blinding women, he married one of his victims later so he could always be close to one of his "masterpieces."
** Martin Walker from season 2's "Beat The Devil" is a SerialKiller and [[ColdBloodedTorture torturer]]. At first, he gains Lightman's notice when he becomes aroused by seeing photos of women being tortured. It comes out Walker is a vicious murderer who gets his kicks by waterboarding young women. He then forces them to dig their own graves before murdering and burying them in them. The waterboarding is related to how he allowed his sister to drown as a child, allowing her to drown merely because he wanted her bike.
* DudeNotFunny: Cal snarking around in the crazy house and mentioning he has "an intimate connection" to suicide, especially when you remember "Depraved Heart", what happened to his mother, and the fact that 30 years later, he still blames himself for it.
* GrowingTheBeard: Most critics seem to agree that the storytelling got much more dynamic with the inclusion of [[TheShield Shawn]] [[TheUnit Ryan]] as co-Executive Producer in the second season.
* HarsherInHindsight: The plot of 'Undercover', which is eerily similar to the Trayvon Martin tragedy... which happened three years later.
* HoYay: Cal and Jeffrey, his buddy from Oxford in one episode.
** And Cal comes onto the character played by David Anders, but that's just to get a rise out of him (it doesn't really work).
** Let's face it, Cal/every male character. His complete lack of respect for personal space just amps it up.
* JerkassWoobie: When Cal ''finally'' opens up and admits his failings and feelings, you just want to hug him. A particularly poignant example is the opening sentences to his (as yet [[RunningGag still-unwritten]]) book:
--->''"Let me be clear. I understand very little, least of all the people closest to me."''
* SpecialEffectFailure: In "Love Always", Cal demonstrates the shocking effects of gunfire by firing a semi-automatic handgun in the air; the scene is repeated in slow motion, too, and the gun is visibly fake: the slide doesn't move, and no bullet casings come out.