* AdaptationDisplacement: Very few people outside Japan realize that this movie is based on a book. The popularity of the film led to the translation of the book.
* BrokenBase: Not the only Ghibli dub to receive such an atmosphere (''Anime/CastleInTheSky'' and ''Anime/MyNeighborTotoro'' also qualify), but many viewers can't seem to decide whether the Disney dub is a charming, entertaining experience or a watered down travesty of a great film. Purists strongly claim it is the latter (often stating that the Japanese version and the Carl Macek-produced Streamline dub is the ONLY way you should watch the film), but there are fans of the dub.
** The German dub gets a similar, if ever so slightly less extreme, threatment.
* EarWorm: Love 'em or hate 'em, one cannot deny that the two added Sydney Forest songs are ''insanely'' catchy. You just may find yourself humming snatches of them weeks afterwards.
** ''[[CrowningMusicOfAwesome Chase the clouds from the ground in the big blue sky, don't wanna watch it all go by...I'm gonna fly!]]''
** When Disney rereleased the DVD, these songs were replaced with the original Japanese tracks. Much handwringing ensued.
* [[GatewaySeries Gateway Movie]]: For a lot of 80s and 90s kids, this was their first entry to Studio Ghibli catalog and perhaps, even anime in general.
* HarsherInHindsight: Jiji abruptly ceasing to talk in the English dub can be pretty chilling, knowing that it was Phil Hartman's final role before his murder.
* TearJerker: While Kiki is sick, there is one scene where Kiki can be found sleeping and Jiji starts feeling very worried about Kiki.
** [[spoiler: The next morning, where Kiki discovers that Jiji can no longer speak to her or understand her due to her losing her powers.]]
** The dedication to Phil Hartman at the end of the credits.
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: Many fans were ''pissed'' when the 2010 re-release of the English dub removed most of Phil Hartman's ad-libbed lines, saying that it's disrespectful to his memory.
** Others were really grateful to have the English dub match the original more faithfully.
** On the flip side, there are just as many who are very offended by the existence of the Disney dub, period, for replacing the Streamline version.