* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: Regarding the entire series, [[spoiler:the main protagonists tend to suffer SuddenSequelDeathSyndrome, and the main antagonist, Tong Po, tends to make VillainSue-style comebacks despite his brutal defeats]]. This more or less seems to make the series one big ShootTheShaggyDog story.
* FakeNationality: Moroccan-Belgian actor Michel Qissi as the Thai kickboxer Tong Po.
* FanonDiscontinuity: Fans of the first film tend to ignore all of the sequels made after it.
* MoralEventHorizon: No matter how badass one thinks of Tong Po, the scene where he beats and rapes Mylee is his way of reminding the viewers how much of a bastard he is and why one should root for Kurt to win.
* WhatTheHellHero: Kurt seems way angrier at Mylee for not telling him she got raped than he is at Tong Po for, you know, raping her.