* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: Regarding the entire series, [[spoiler:the main protagonists tend to suffer SuddenSequelDeathSyndrome, and the main antagonist, Tong Po, tends to make Villain Sue-style comebacks despite his brutal defeats]]. This more or less seems to make the series one big ShootTheShaggyDog story. Also, makes Tong Po come out as a KarmaHoudini since he never really faced any serious consequences for his previous actions.
* FanonDiscontinuity: Fans of the first film tend to ignore all of the numbered sequels made after it. ''Vengeance'' and ''Retaliation'' are the exceptions as they're are a reboot of the original series.
* MoralEventHorizon: No matter how badass one thinks of Tong Po, the scene where he beats and rapes Mylee is his way of reminding the viewers how much of a bastard he is and why one should root for Kurt to win.
* UnintentionallyUnsympathetic: Kurt seems way angrier at Mylee for not telling him she got raped than he is at Tong Po for, you know, raping her.
* TheWoobie: Mylee's quite possibly the most tragic character in this franchise.