* ArchivePanic: His discography is rather extensive; many of his earliest albums featured endless instrumental versions and re-recordings of his hits (as was the industry practice at the time). ''Music/StarTime'' is by far the best buy: four discs full of Brown's greatest and essentials hits. In fact, it is so excellent that it won much acclaim and awards.
* CrowningMomentOfAwesome: His electrifying performance at the T.A.M.I. show in 1964. Keith Richards would later say one of the biggest mistakes the Music/TheRollingStones ever made was following him.
* EarWorm: Every single track.
* EpicRiff: "The Payback", "Doing It To Death", "Superbad", "Blues and Pants"... due to their repetition and being extensively sample over the years, James Brown riffs tend to be instantly recognizable upon hearing them.
* SampledUp: Often cited the most sampled artist in the world.