* AwesomeMusic: "Good News," by Randy Newman.
%%Do NOT add the villains as Complete Monsters without going to the cleanup thread first.
* CrossesTheLineTwice: James' parents abruptly gets eaten by a rhinoceros at the beginning of the story. While having your parents die at a young age is never pleasant, the situation is so absurd, part of you can't help but laugh a little.
* HoYay: A private violin performance of Bach's Partita No. 3, Gavotte en Rondeau, as their mode of transport soars over a moonlit sea seems to edge on the romantic side of things; especially when one considers how flustered Mr. Grasshopper is to be caught by James in the middle of things.
* MoralEventHorizon: Both Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker are abusive legal guardians towards James in the movie, but they finally crossed it when they outright attempt to '''MURDER''' him [[AxeCrazy with axes.]]
* NauseaFuel: That disgusting fish head pie James receives from his aunts for dinner in the movie. This is, in fact, a [[AluminumChristmasTrees real meal]] called [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazy_pie stargazy pie]].
* WhatAnIdiot: Centipede [[BullyingTheDragon insulting the Cloud People in the book.]]