* AdaptationDisplacement: The few American, English or Latin American people who have heard of this are either thinking of the god-awful game, or the pretty decent AnimatedAdaptation.
* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Is Dilat [[UndyingLoyalty truly loyal]] to Iznogoud, or does he serves him and helps him only because he knows his whole situation depends from him? Especially ambiguous in that some of the books contradict each others on that point.
** Conversely, it's left ambiguous in later books if Iznogoud does care to some extent about Dilat or just sees him as a pawn. A scene in ''Who Killed the Caliph'' especially stands out, as it features Iznogoud being horrified when he realizes Dilat is about to get beheaded and immediatly rushing to save him.
* CrossesTheLineTwice: Some jokes verge on this. For exemple, in ''Iznogoud's Childhood'', we get a scene of the Caliph interrupting the headman about to cut a fruit thief's right hand. The Caliph forbids it, arguing that he won't be able to atone if he is missing his right hand... and as such orders the headsman to cut his ''left'' hand. Then we cut to Iznogoud himself, who explains that part of why he wants to be Caliph is to remove that law about cutting a fruit thief's hand which he finds stupid ''because he think they should just cut both hands''.
* EarWorm: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOncbfWKM38 G-g-goud, g-g-g-goud, g-g-g-g-g-g-g-goud! Iz, Iz-No-Goud!]]
* FunnyAneurysmMoment, HilariousInHindsight: See WhatDoYouMeanItsNotPolitical below.
* MemeticMutation: Iznogoud's CatchPhrase "I want to be Caliph instead of the Caliph" is often used in European countries when describing a leader's ambitious and unscrupulous underling, or general KlingonPromotion tendencies.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotPolitical: Despite [[TheNapoleon physical]] and [[TheStarscream psychological]] similarities, Iznogoud was ''not'' inspired by French president Nicolas Sarkozy. He did, however, meet Jacques Chirac at one point.
** Which in no way prevented photoshops of Sarkozy dressed as Iznogoud from appearing on the Internet shortly after his election, mostly with captions on the subject of "Well, he finally succeeded." There was also a Google bombing mixing Sarkozy and Iznogoud.
* TheWoobie: Dilat, for being Iznogoud's personnal [[TheChewToy Chew Toy]].