* AlasPoorScrappy: In-universe example: [[spoiler: Rex Splode.]] Few people would have admitted to liking him when he was alive, but those who knew him were all very much hurt by his death.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: The little-seen but hugely popular Allen the Alien. Kirkman has stated that, in his experience with the fandom, Allen is nearly ''everybody's'' favorite character.)
** He's also Kirkman's favorite character, which is part of the reason why he hardly shows up. Kirkman's well aware that all it takes is a little overexposure to turn the EnsembleDarkhorse into TheScrappy.
* LikeYouWouldReallyDoIt: In issue 63 [[spoiler: Conquest appears to have killed Eve. She involuntarily heals herself the very next issue]]. In issue 100, [[spoiler: Mark himself appears to have been killed within the first two pages by Dinosaurus. The succeeding pages show that Dinosaurus killed a clone of Mark, who's completely unharmed.]]
* RescuedFromTheScrappyHeap: Oliver became a lot more tolerable after he began to appreciate humans better.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids: Usually the 'Allen the Alien' issues begin cutting away from a sex scene, with Kirkman explaining he wants to keep the comic family friendly. These issues tend to contain some of the most violent battles in the comic, the first having Allen's intestines and eye ripped out. Yeah, real family friendly Kirkman.
** I always thought that was a ShoutOut to the old Comics Code. Torture and genocide? Be as explicit as you like! [[NippleAndDimed Naked people?]] '''Thou art censored!'''