* DesignatedHero: Several viewers have found themselves rooting for the Association, as the immigrants, what with their lack of character development and rather annoying voices, come across as less likable.
* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: The film has received popularity within some European critics circles.
* LoveItOrHateIt: Either it's one of the worst films of the 1980's or a misunderstood masterpiece, with little or no middle ground.
* MagnumOpusDissonance: Perhaps the definitive example; it's not only one of the biggest box office flops of all time, but widely considered one of the worst films of all time.
* TooCoolToLive: Nathan Champion
* TookTheBadFilmSeriously: The director, the cast, and everyone.
* VindicatedByVideo: After VHS and DVD releases, the film has acquired a bit of a cult following and is seeing a margin of critical revision postulating that it isn't really that bad. In particular, the 2013 re-release of the Director's Cut has been met with critical praise.
* WTHCastingAgency: This was the producers' initial response to Cimino wanting to cast French actress Isabelle Huppert as the female (American) lead. Few people would argue that Huppert is in any way a bad actress, but her role in this film is probably the one that divides critics the most; in particular, the producers and many critics shared the opinion that her dialogue is fairly incomprehensible at times. Of course, one of the producers tried ExecutiveMeddling. Cimino's response? [[spoiler:"Go fuck yourself."]]
* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: They were extremely popular in Japan.
* SignatureSong: "Rising Sun".
* XMeetsY: ''In Control'' -album is Judas Priest mixed with early Helloween.