!!''Literature/HeartOfDarkness'': the novella
* AdaptationDisplacement: ''Film/ApocalypseNow''
* BrokenRecord: Everyone in the story can't shut up about how awesome yet how horrific Kurtz and his methods are.
* EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory: Considering how dense and omnifaceted the story is, this happens pretty often. There's a TON of ways to interpret ''Heart of Darkness''[[note]]you can easily find Marxist, deconstructivist, feminist, or post-colonial interpretations, just to name a few[[/note]], and many odd ones are surprisingly well-supported (though many are not). [[http://www.mrbauld.com/exconrbud.html Here's an example.]]
* NightmareFuel: Has its own [[NightmareFuel/HeartOfDarkness page]].
* ValuesDissonance: The native Africans are repeatedly portrayed as violent, ignorant, subhuman cannibals... and those are the good ones.
** They're always shown as better (or at least, more humane) than the European colonists.
* FridgeHorror - The General Manager purposefully wrecked Marlow's steamer before he arrived so that aid to Kurtz would be delayed. After all, it was "too stupid - when I think about it - to be altogether natural".
!!''VideoGame/HeartOfDarkness'': the video game
* AlienScrappy: Amigo
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: One of the very first games to incorporate symphonic musics, to reinforce the cinematic feel.
* DemonicSpiders: Nearly anything to be precise. Everything, absolutely EVERYTHING, has a way to One-Hit-Kill you. Shadows eat you, Worms will emerge from a wall, snap you and feast on you in a matter of seconds. Shadows in armor can use "The Power" in various ways, flying shadows likewise and they double for goddamn bats. And that are the few creatures you can actually HARM. The shadow spiders are a perfect match: you usually fight them while climbing, limiting your movements; they drip poison on the handholds that can make you fall, and they evade any shot you can fire at them unless you let them come ''very close''.
* GoddamnedBats: The shadows mostly, but flying shadows are a perfect match: They fly, they evade everything you throw at them if its the last one and they can throw fireballs that kill you in one hit. Ask anyone about them and they will say they hate them with a passion.
* GoodBadBugs: If Andy crouches such that his rear end pokes off the screen, enemies will not come from that side.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotForKids: It's rated E and was designed as a kids game, sure, but you'll start questioning the demographic when Andy dies in a way that doesn't involve falling off the screen. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyZfME5XYY Here's a compilation of all the gruesome ways Andy can be killed.]]
* JustForFun/XMeetsY: ''VideoGame/CommanderKeen'' meets ''VideoGame/AnotherWorld''.