* MagnumOpusDissonance: He really doesn't like the fact that most people keep talking about "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" whereas the one story he really felt he put his all into, Grail, isn't even in print anymore. Many detractors will note that the story he put the most effort into being forgotten should ''tell him something''.
* NightmareFuel: Quite often. Special credit to the essay [[WhyFandomCantHaveNiceThings "Xenogenesis"]] for being ''entirely true''. As far as we know, given Ellison's love of manipulating the truth.
* SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped: When recounting his experiences with Warner Bros., Ellison emphasizes that [[MoneyDearBoy writers shouldn't be ashamed to demand compensation for their work]].
--> I sell my soul, but at the highest rates. The highest rates, [[MemeticMutation I don't take a]] ''[[MemeticMutation piss]]'' [[MemeticMutation without getting paid for it]]!
* TearJerker: "Paladin of the Lost Hour."
* WhatDoYouMeanItWasntMadeOnDrugs: Very famously, Ellison neither drinks nor smokes nor gets blasted out of his mind on acid ''ever''. [[BadAss He used to smoke a pipe,]] but quit that years ago.
** Many people attending science fiction conventions in the late 60s and early 70s remember Ellison as smelling so strongly of pot you could get high standing next to him. He has often railed against ''hard'' drugs, though.