* AdaptationDisplacement: Of both the novel and the stage play based on it.
* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Was the Baron actually in love with Grusinskaya? Or did he just say that to prevent her from committing suicide and was merely being polite afterwards?
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Even though the movie is more famous for Greta Garbo's "I want to be alone" line, some newer viewers find themselves being pleasantly surprised by Joan Crawford's performance - finding her to be superior to Garbo. This was the case on set too - as Garbo was brought back in to shoot additional scenes to beef up her role, after Crawford impressed.
* SugarWiki/HeartwarmingMoments: Flaemmchen waits at the bar for the Baron. He arrives and asks her to dance with Kringelein instead. Rather than getting annoyed or jealous, she agrees and does something so nice for a poor old man who doesn't have much time left.
* IdiotPlot: The second half of the Baron's story is driven by him not being willing to let Grusinskaya pay for a train ticket for him. Even though she implied she'd be happy to pay off his debts, he'd rather steal or gamble than have her pay them.
* MemeticMutation: "I vant to be alone," thanks to it fitting so well with Creator/GretaGarbo's sudden retirement from public life.
* MoralEventHorizon: [[spoiler: Presying]] crosses this when he [[spoiler:kills [[GentlemanThief the Baron]] just because he was trying to steal his pocket book.]]
* NarmCharm: Some of Greta Garbo's rather over the top mannerisms are amusing, but yet they fit her character's emotional state.
* SoOkayItsAverage: This movie has been used as an example of the Academy's questionable judgment in early years -- not exactly bad, but it didn't age well.
** The scene where Kringelein thinks he's lost his pocket book (after having won an enormous amount of money gambling), when the Baron has taken it to pay off his debts. As he desperately searches for the book, the Baron ultimately can't bear to steal it and gives it to him.
** After [[spoiler: the Baron's death]] Flaemmchen agrees to be Kringelein's companion in an attempt to be positive. But when they go to ring for a train ticket, they both nearly collapse in tears - still devastated.
* WatchItForTheMeme: Some watch it just to hear the famous Garbo quote.
* TheWoobie: [[SecretlyDying Kringelein]] and [[spoiler: [[DrivenToSuicide Grusinskaya]], [[InterruptedSuicide initially]].]]