* EnsembleDarkhorse: Despite the movie itself not well recieved, Megalon himself was very much well accepted by the fans for having a cool design and some decent fighting ability. It helps he has appeared in the [[VideoGame/GodzillaDestroyAllMonstersMelee Atari/Pipeworks Godzilla games]] as an easy to pickup and play fighter.
** Gigan's status as one no doubt was the reason for his inclusion in this title.
* HoYay: Goro and Hiroshi are often interpreted as a gay couple.
* RescuedFromTheScrappyHeap: Jet Jaguar in subsequent Godzilla fighting games where he's a fun character to use.
* TheScrappy: Rokuro was probably just the regular annoying kid in the original, but the dub provides him with perhaps the most awful, screechy voice of any Godzilla kid.
* SoBadItsGood: Commonly regarded as one of the worst Godzilla movies, the film still has a fairly sizable fan following largely due to this trope.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: Many, but most notably [[ArtisticLicensePhysics Godzilla's]] [[RunningGag awe-inspiring]] [[ArtisticLicenseMartialArts tail-slide dropkick to Megalon]].
** Gigan got hit with this. In the new footage, Gigan's mouth and mandibles rarely move when he roars, and the mandibles are hanging at an angle the entire time like the internal supports are broken. He also never uses his belly buzzsaw, and the individual blades are all set at weird angles.
* WTHCostumingDepartment: Why does Godzilla have irises?
** Cementing Godzilla's complete change into a protector of Earth, this version of his suit (used from here until ''Film/TerrorOfMechagodzilla''), especially the head, resembles [[TheMuppets Kermit the Frog]].