* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: Is Melinda a well-meaning woman trying to help the living and the dead? Or is she just a nosy person sticking her fingers in everyone's pies?
* BaseBreaker: Delia joining in Season 2. Some saw her as a ReplacementScrappy for Andrea, while others liked the idea of a skeptic as a main character.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Out of Melinda's many partners in crime across the series, Andrea seems to be the fan-favourite.
* HilariousInHindsight: [[Series/AmericanHorrorStory Evan Peters]] as a ghost [[spoiler: who eventually goes into the light]] in a season 5 episode after his role in ''Series/AmericanHorrorStoryMurderHouse'', where he played another ghost.
** From the way people talk about Melinda's wardrobe, you'd think she spent every episode in her underwear.
** The show got a reputation for all the ghosts of the week appearing villainous but always being revealed to have been misunderstood or innocent. While that does happen a lot, there are plenty of villainous ghosts. Notable is "Friendly Neighbourhood Ghost" where the old man turns out to have been an abusive parent, and "The Last Execution" where he confesses that he ''did'' commit murder.
* TheScrappy: Nikki is seen by some fans as this not only because [[spoiler: she gets in the way of Melinda and Jim/Sam, which got better when Jim "returned"]], but her character also rubbed many the wrong way.
** Melinda gets one in the climax of the season one finale, when [[spoiler: she convinces almost all the ghosts resulting from the plane crash to go into the light -- one of the very few people to stick with Romano, a female flight attendant, goes over in a season two episode -- with so many going through at once that it actually becomes visible to Melinda (and the audience) for the first time in the series.]]
** In "Bad Blood," the father who's being haunted by a pair of ghosts [[spoiler: hoping to drive him and his daughter to their deaths, as they did with all the previous tenants --as they love playing those kind of sick games, they join the very short list of ghosts who ''don't'' go into the light--]] gets one when he [[spoiler:brings their games to a (temporary) end by blowing up the house. As the male ghost says before it all goes boom, "Well played"]].
* WhatTheHellCastingAgency: Jamie Kennedy as a professor. Especially given [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzThMe7bBM this]] little incident.
** Some might also have the reaction to Jay Mohr as a professor.