* CompleteMonster: Darkseid is dying, and so [[TakingYouWithMe as a final gesture]] wants to [[ApocalypseHow destroy the entire multiverse]] and [[OmnicidalManiac all life on it]]. He [[OffingTheOffspring murdered his heroic son]] Orion to permit himself to gain dominion over Earth. Once there, he enslaved the minds of everyone he could touch, turning them into savage parodies of themselves, intending to as he said "murder their souls and take them to hell without end."
* CrazyAwesome: Nix Uotan becomes this thanks to [[spoiler: Metron's]] [[DareToBeBadass advice]].
* LesYay: The possessed Mary Marvel keeps coming on to Supergirl the more they fight, with Mary showing signs of being a CombatSadomasochist.
** [[spoiler: Actually, it was Desaad [[GrandTheftMe in Mary's body]]]].
* MoralEventHorizon: Inertia crossed it (again) when he [[spoiler:killed Weather Wizard's baby son]]. Also Libra and Human Flame, for killing Martian Manhunter. Darkseid obviously crossed it long, ''long'' ago, but what he does in this story is certainly up there with the worst stuff he ever did.
* NightmareFuel: The new nature of Darkseid, not to mention Mandrakk. Darkseid has transcended his physical form and become a nightmarish EldritchAbomination who's ''pulling reality down into the abyss'', and Mandrakk is an interdimensional vampire ''feeding on the death of reality''. Who's heavily implied to be ''the original Monitor.''
** The release of the Anti-Life Equation, which is released on EVERY form of electronic device: TV, Internet, radio, PDA, Cellphone, GPS, etc. The book proclaims that over a billion people are enslaved this way with the initial release of the Anti-Life Equation, effectively giving Darkseid control over Earth and forcing the unaffected heroes of Earth into hiding for the second half of the storyline.
* ParanoiaFuel: The Anti-Life Equation can be transmitted through ''any'' form of electronic medi[[InterruptingMeme ALL IS ONE IN DARKSEID]].
** NewMediaAreEvil: LaResistance publishes special editions of the Daily Planet to communicate. For some reason, Darkseid doesn't bother to have the Anti-Life Equation put on posters or anything while he has Justifier slaves burning books...
*** At that point, he already has over 3 billion people under his control, not counting all the meta humans and others I believe. Or the mortioccus virus. Basically, at that point, he may just not care since they can't stop him.
* RescuedFromTheScrappyHeap: Libra and Human Flame.
* SoCoolItsAwesome: The final battle, in which Superman, Nix Uotan, the Green Lantern Corps., the Zoo Crew, the Super Young Team, the armies of ''Heaven itself'', an army of alternate Supermen, and more team up to take down [[BigBad Mandrakk]].
* VindicatedByHistory: When the series was originally released, it was [[MindScrew incredibly hard to follow]], due to the series' "channel flipping" method of storytelling, the [[ScheduleSlip Schedule Slip]] that affected the essential tie-in ''Superman Beyond 3D'', and significant [[ExecutiveMeddling Executive Meddling]], particularly in regards to [[CountdownToFinalCrisis Countdown to Final Crisis]]. Now that the series has been collected properly and the readership has had time to properly digest its contents, it's much more well regarded, with a number of readers considering it a modern classic. It's still considered divisive, though.
* WhatAnIdiot: At the end of ''Legion of Three Worlds'', Superboy-Prime manages to break reality (again) [[spoiler: and doom himself to being an unpowered kid in a world where everyone hates and fears him]] by punching out the Time Trapper [[spoiler: who is his own future self]].
---> '''Brainiac:''' What an idiot.
* TheWoobie: Overman, an alternate version of Superman who landed in the Sudetenland in ''1939''. He describes his world as one "built on human suffering", and it's made pretty plain he's not remotely proud of that fact. The only reason he's involved in the crisis is to find his world's version of Supergirl. And he does, but only after she's dead.