* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: the [[http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/19570/did-terence-mann-die fan theory that Terence Mann was a ghost himself]], having died alone in that apartment, brought back to fulfill his dream of watching the game he loved as a child.
* AwardSnub: Lost the best picture award in 1989 to ''DrivingMissDaisy''.
* HeartwarmingInHindsight / RealitySubtext: Shoeless Joe tells Moonlight "you were good". It is Burt Lancaster's filmic epitaph, as it was his final role.
* MemeticMutation: "If you build it, he will come.". [[BeamMeUpScotty Although it's too often quoted as "If you build it, they will come."]].
* StrawmanHasAPoint: The closest the film has to an antagonist is Ray's brother-in-law Mark. Until [[spoiler: Doc/Moonlight saved Karin's life]], he couldn't see the ghosts. So, from his perspective, Ray--an inexperienced farmer--mowed his field to build a baseball diamond with no other means of supporting his family. He was concerned with having his sister and niece being bankrupt from Ray's field.
* TearJerker: This film has often been described as one of the ultimate [[ManlyTears "guy cry"]] movies