* AngstWhatAngst: Rain is pretty flippant about the fact that she gets raped, and the fact that she's an amnesiac never bothers her.
* AntiClimaxBoss: Mist, against Rain, at least on normal. Her attacks are random, but all three have a pattern to them that lets you distinguish which ones she's using. Two of them take a long time for her to build up to, allowing Rain some very easy shots with a rocket launcher. This can cause the whole fight to be over in 2 seconds flat.
* BreatherLevel: In Fear Effect 2, after the Hell that is the Wing Chun Tower, the player then gets control of Deke, who faces a bunch of slow moving, weak hitting mutants. Meanwhile, Deke has his trademark shot pistols, an assault rifle, an actual shotgun, and a grenade & rocket launcher. It's rather easy to get through this portion without taking a single hit.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The bizarre insect device Rain's strapped into near the start of ''Retro Helix''. Its purpose isn't explained, she's freed from it in seconds, it makes little sense, and other than one crack from Hana, it's never mentioned again.
* DemonicSpiders: The teleporting demons that Hana encounters in the Juniper Gardens. Tough, hard hitting, appearing in numbers, and teleporting after being shot, they make the gardens the hardest part of Retro Helix.
* GodDamnedBats: The aqueduct workers in Retro Helix. Despite never actually attacking the player unless provoked, they are incredibly annoying for several reasons, chief among them being that they raise Hana and Rain's fear meter, even though all of them are cowering at the very sight of Hana or Rain. Then, as if that wasn't enough, killing them leads to a very difficult late game boss fight, where Hana has to resort to melee combat against a guy who shoots electricity out of his hands. And finally, due to the automatic targeting system, it winds up being very easy to hit them by accident, forcing you to put them down as a result.
* ScrappyMechanic: The live inventory management. Especially since a few cutscenes drop the characters in the middle of a gun fight with their weapons holstered.