* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Is Dougal just [[TheDitz extremely stupid]], or does he have schizophrenia(or some other psychosis)?
** His behavior throughout the series is that of someone completely detached from the real world—with Ted even having to draw him a chart describing the differences between fantasy and reality—and moreover Dougal's thoughts and words ''do'' occasionally conform to reality and to varying degrees. In addition, many of his behaviors throughout the show are not outright stupid but just plain weird and nonsensical. He probably only became mentally ill sometime in his adult life, after becoming priest.
* BrokenBase: More like "broken periphery demographic." Catholic priests either think it is hilarious and harmless satire or insulting and poorly researched slander.
* CrossesTheLineTwice: 'Night of the Nearly Dead' essentially has Frank Kelly in ''black-face'' to show that Father Jack's condition is hardly unique.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: Which should also be a Crowning Music of Funny; "My Lovely Horse".
** The Rugged Island priests' song "The Miracle Is Mine" from the same episode qualifies too. It is hammy and overblown (in the vein of many Eurovision entries), it has a vague religious lyric to it, and is backed up by a full choir and orchestra. This is a good EstablishingCharacterMoment for Dick and Cyril, because they are shown to have a genuine musical talent and planning, whereas Ted and Dougal do not. However, due to the biased voting (again, which happens in Eurovision in real life), Ted and Dougal manage to win anyway.
* EndingFatigue: The Christmas special. Even the show's creators complain about it in the DVD commentary.
** To a lesser extent the two part episode "Escape From Victory" and "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse".
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Bishop Brennan, who gained legendary status after appearing in a total of three episodes ("The Passion Of Tibulus", "The Plague" and "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse".
* FountainOfMemes: Even a decade and a half since the last episode aired, the show is still highly quoted in Ireland and many current events will have a Father Ted meme attached to it.
* FridgeLogic: How on God's green earth did Dougal become a priest? [[LampshadeHanging Frequently]] asked In-Universe, especially by Ted. ("Did you win a "collect twelve crisp packets and become a priest" competition?") Of course, given some of the other priests out there in universe, Dougal is hardly the worst of them.
** The flashbacks of Father Jack in his days teaching in a Parochial School during the first series episode 'Grant Unto Him Eternal Rest' definitely qualify as a FunnyAneurysmMoment given the subsequent scandals in Ireland regarding exactly this sort of abuse in Irish Catholic Schools and Orphanages.
** One of the Bishops dying of a massive heart attack as lead Actor Dermot Morgan would later die from the same thing.
*** Even worse, Ted grabbing his chest in shock when Mrs. Doyle surprises him with a cup of tea when he turns on the light.
*** And the three 'Death' Tarot cards he chooses from the fortune teller's deck in the first episode.
** Averted in the finale; the writers originally intended the series to end with Ted commiting suicide, but this was replaced with a clip montage when Dermot Morgan died.
** Another cringeworthy one is Jack's P.E teaching.
--->'''Teaching Nun:''' He's also asked me to remind you that it is very hot today, so there will be no need for your tracksuit tops.
*** The dancing priest dying from having a heart attack due to too much dancing. As seen in the HarsherInHindsight example, Morgan's constant reshoots of his dance scene in "Going To America" exacerbated the heart problems he was feeling during filming, and prevented him getting treatment in time. So effectively, what was one of the most absurd and improbable deaths in Father Ted ended up coming true.
**** The titling of the penultimate episode "Night Of The Nearly Dead". Dermot Morgan died after the filming of the following (and last) episode "Going To America".
* HarsherInHindsight: Dermot Morgan was actually having heart problems during the filming of the Shaft scene of the last episode "Going To America". However, Tommy Tiernan (who played the suicidal priest) kept flubbing his lines, and the producers would not let Dermot go until it was finished. To make matters worse, Dermot had to do dance moves in this scene, and doing them repeatedly exacerbated his condition. He died less than 24 hours later. If the reshoots of the scene had been stopped and Dermot had gotten treatment, there is a chance he might have lived. However, there is equally a chance that he might have died whilst away and the rest of the episode would never have been filmed.
** The set-up is that the Catholic church deals with miscreant priests by quietly shuffling them off to some out-of-the-way parish until it all blows over. Sadly, this turned out to be the case in real life too, and with worse offenders than Ted, Dougal and Jack.
* HilariousInHindsight: On a meta level: having watched "Cigarettes, Alcohol and Rollerblading" will almost completely derail any serious use of Mozart's [[BioshockInfinite Rex Tremendae]] or [[NeonGenesisEvangelion Dies Irae]].
* HollywoodHomely: Mrs. Doyle.
* JerkAssWoobie: Ted, who's venal and self-serving but also has to put up Dougal's stupidity, Jack's own [[JerkAss jerkassery]], and [[FailureIsTheOnlyOption things in general often going to hell.]]
* MemeticBadass: Bishop Brennan and his [[BadassCape cape]].
* MemeticMutation: Loads in Ireland. All the catchphrases have become instantly recognisable, as well as a few other signature lines such as those quoted at the top of the page.
** The "Lovely Horse" song. Behold, [[VideoGame/Left4Dead Ellis']] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9-DuQlsug Lovely Horse]], and VideoGame/RhythmHeaven's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHF6X7lVY8 Lovely Horse Duel]].
** "'''[[TheyJustDidntCare CAREFUL]] [[http://themediablog.typepad.com/.a/6a011570c131b2970c0133f459d8fa970b-pi NOW]]''' and '''"[[http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/careful-now.jpg DOWN]] [[http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5601/75638122781904449459100.jpg WITH]] [[http://photos3.pix.ie/76/33/763378631B154FEE87CC2E98BAE21428-0000328695-0002011508-00500L-84DDF75B54D544948024BD771F41FDDA.jpg THIS]] [[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5003900000_864a4d8a3a.jpg SORT]] [[http://cianginty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FEES-PROTEST-Down-with-this-sort-of-thing-.jpg OF]] [[http://www.flickr.com/photos/dullhunk/7185982993/lightbox/ THING!]]"''' has been photographed at many real life protests. Regardless of the actual tone of demonstration. Plus, it's available as a t-shirt and gets a ShoutOut in ''[[VideoGame/GrandTheftAutoV GTA V]]''.
** Anything Jack says.
* MexicansLoveSpeedyGonzales: As noted above, it's incredibly popular in Ireland. Yes, it was created by Irish writers, had an Irish cast, and was set in Ireland, but it was still intended for ''British'' audiences, making its popularity in Ireland an unintentional (or least secondarily intentional) byproduct.
* OneSceneWonder: "Feckin' Greeks! They invented gayness!"
** The boring-voiced priest from the Christmas special.
** Not to mention his [[LargeHam polar opposite]] from the same episode.