* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Is Dougal just [[TheDitz extremely stupid]], or does he have schizophrenia(or some other psychosis)?
** His behavior throughout the series is that of someone completely detached from the real world—with Ted even having to draw him a chart describing the differences between fantasy and reality—and moreover Dougal's thoughts and words ''do'' occasionally conform to reality and to varying degrees. In addition, many of his behaviors throughout the show are not outright stupid but just plain weird and nonsensical. He probably only became mentally ill sometime in his adult life, after becoming priest.
* BrokenBase: More like "broken periphery demographic." Catholic priests either think it is hilarious and harmless satire or insulting and poorly researched slander.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: Which should also be a Crowning Music of Funny; "My Lovely Horse".
* EndingFatigue: The Christmas special. Even the show's creators complain about it in the DVD commentary.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Bishop Brennan, who gained legendary status after appearing in a total of three episodes.
* FridgeLogic: How on God's green earth did Dougal become a priest? [[LampshadeHanging Frequently]] asked In-Universe, especially by Ted.
** The flashbacks of Father Jack in his days teaching in a Parochial School during the first series episode 'Grant Unto Him Eternal Rest' definitely qualify as a FunnyAneurysmMoment given the subsequent scandals in Ireland regarding exactly this sort of abuse in Irish Catholic Schools and Orphanages.
** One of the Bishops dying of a massive heart attack as lead Actor Dermot Morgan would later die from the same thing.
*** Even worse, Ted grabbing his chest in shock when Mrs. Doyle surprises him with a cup of tea when he turns on the light.
*** And the three 'Death' Tarot cards he chooses from the fortune teller's deck in the first episode.
** Averted in the finale; the writers originally intended the series to end with Ted commiting suicide, but this was replaced with a clip montage when Dermot Morgan died.
** Another cringeworthy one is Jack's P.E teaching.
--->'''Teaching Nun:''' He's also asked me to remind you that it is very hot today, so there will be no need for your tracksuit tops.
* HollywoodHomely: Mrs. Doyle.
* JerkAssWoobie: Ted, who's venal and self-serving but also has to put up Dougal's stupidity, Jack's own [[JerkAss jerkassery]], and [[FailureIsTheOnlyOption things in general often going to hell.]]
* MemeticMutation: Loads in Ireland. All the catchphrases have become instantly recognisable, as well as a few other signature lines such as those quoted at the top of the page.
** The "Lovely Horse" song. Behold, [[VideoGame/Left4Dead Ellis']] [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9-DuQlsug Lovely Horse]], and VideoGame/RhythmHeaven's [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHF6X7lVY8 Lovely Horse Duel]].
** "'''[[TheyJustDidntCare CAREFUL]] [[http://themediablog.typepad.com/.a/6a011570c131b2970c0133f459d8fa970b-pi NOW]]''' and '''"[[http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/careful-now.jpg DOWN]] [[http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5601/75638122781904449459100.jpg WITH]] [[http://photos3.pix.ie/76/33/763378631B154FEE87CC2E98BAE21428-0000328695-0002011508-00500L-84DDF75B54D544948024BD771F41FDDA.jpg THIS]] [[http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5003900000_864a4d8a3a.jpg SORT]] [[http://cianginty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FEES-PROTEST-Down-with-this-sort-of-thing-.jpg OF]] [[http://www.flickr.com/photos/dullhunk/7185982993/lightbox/ THING!]]"''' has been photographed at many real life protests. Regardless of the actual tone of demonstration. Plus, it's available as a t-shirt and gets a ShoutOut in ''GTAV''..
** Anything Jack says.
* MexicansLoveSpeedyGonzales: As noted above, it's incredibly popular in Ireland. Yes, it was created by Irish writers, had an Irish cast, and was set in Ireland, but it was still intended for ''British'' audiences, making its popularity in Ireland an unintentional (or least secondarily intentional) byproduct.
* OneSceneWonder: "Feckin' Greeks! They invented gayness!"
** The boring-voiced priest from the Christmas special.
** Not to mention his [[LargeHam polar opposite]] from the same episode.