* EndingFatigue: ''Emily's Quest.''
* FanPreferredCouple: A good chunk of the fandom favours Emily/Dean over Emily/Teddy.
* NightmareFuel: In ''Emily Climbs'' Emily is accidentally locked inside the church at night during a thunderstorm...with a madman who has mistaken her for his long dead bride.
* TearJerker: Try getting through the first few chapters of the first book without your eyes stinging. And it doesn't stop there.
* ValuesDissonance: Notably appears in concordance with CursedWithAwesome: Emily occasionally shows psychic powers, which have been known to save lives and solve decades-old mysteries? ''Great!'' Except that she is ashamed and afraid of them and keeps them a secret, because of the stigma around insanity and all unexplainable phenomena in the Victorian era.
* TheWoobie: Several characters could qualify, including young Emily and possibly Dean, but Mrs. Kent deserves special mention as a JerkassWoobie who is in desperate need of several forms of therapy, who deliberately wrecks the happiness of people around her, but Montgomery takes plenty of time out to say, ''she had it rough.''