* AlternativeCharacterInterpretation: It's been argued that the whole thing is simply a fairy tale the old woman is telling her grandchild. This seems to be a case of [[spoiler: some people failing to understand Burton's little twist at the end - i.e., the opening is supposed to give the viewer the impression that an old lady is recounting a mere story to her grandchild but in the end that story is revealed to be true as the old lady reveals herself to be Kim. The alternate explanation not only negates the twist but makes the old lady rather strange given that she's therefore getting all emotionally attached to, and involved with, a fiction.]]
* BaitAndSwitch: It varies between viewers, but when this troper watched the movie for the first time, he thought Peg was the Grandmother. Since Peg had more screentime than the rest of the cast and was the first to meet Edward. [[spoiler: When it turned out to be Kim,]] it became this for this troper.
* CrowningMomentOfFunny: Edward's first experience with a water bed. [[HilarityEnsues It didn't end well]].
* CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming: The "Ice Dance" scene.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: It's called "The Grand Finale" on the soundtrack album for a reason.
** Creator/DannyElfman has named it (the whole thing) as his personal favorite of his own scores.
* TheCutie: Edward, with his innocence.
* EpilepticTrees: Is this a huge metaphor for mental disorders? If so, that makes it ten times more disturbing and depressing.
* [[SugarWiki/HeReallyCanAct He Really Can Act]]: Johnny Depp.
* HilariousInHindsight: Johnny Depp plays a guy with scissors for hands. When you consider that he was one of Freddy Krueger's victims in his first film, it's kinda funny.
** It's even funnier when they were casting the remake of ''Nightmare on Elm Street''. Depp was one of the original choices to play Freddy.
** The film has this effect on ''Film/TheBreakfastClub'', as it's a bit jarring to see Anthony Michael Hall go from a sweet, picked-on nerd to a slightly more psychotic version of John Bender.
* MisaimedMarketing: In the mid-'90s, this was repackaged on [=VHS=] as one of Fox's "Family Features", even though it's rated PG-13. Guess that makes [[spoiler: Jim's death at Edward's blades a Family Unfriendly Death]].
* OneSceneWonder: Though he was in a few scenes, his screen time was still short, but Creator/VincentPrice as the inventor just about steals the film from Johnny Depp.
* TearJerker: If you've seen it, you know why.
* UglyCute: This trope applies to Edward both in-story and outside it.
* UncannyValley: Edward.
* TheWoobie: Edward.