* MacGuffin / SoulJar: The amulet. [[spoiler: Its destruction brings about that of Ulrich's.]]
* MostWonderfulSound / HellIsThatNoise: A ''dragon inhaling''...
* OldShame: For whatever reason, Peter MacNicol does not list the film (his debut, no less) on his CV.
* TearJerker: Despite being a monstrous killing machine, one can't help but feel sorry for Vermithrax when she finds her hatchlings dead. This goes into NightmareFuel mode when she goes into a [[RoaringRampageOfRevenge murderous rampage]].
* VindicatedByCable: Not a box-office hit on its release (mostly due to it being Disney's darkest and edgiest film ever, though being released two weeks after ''Film/RaidersOfTheLostArk'' certainly didn't help), the film still became popular with fantasy buffs for its impressive sfx, deconstructive tropes, and effective acting.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Vermithrax is the most realistic stop-motion animated creature ever, thanks to IndustrialLightAndMagic's new "Go Motion", which added subtle blur to the movement, removing the jerkiness most stop-motion animated visual effects had.