* AntiClimaxBoss: The stage Grim Volcano features a (get this) ballet-dancing panda bear that's set up as some kind of big deal, since you're not on a boss stage and he gets his own introductory cutscene. His moves are unpredictable and almost erratic, and it may take you a while to figure out how to defend yourself from him, but once you manage to break his defenses, one or two good punches is all it takes for Donkey Kong to pound him into mush. The bear comes back in a later stage, Asteroid Belt, complete with the same introduction, but [[GoldfishPoopGang just as easy as before]].
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: "Battle for Storm Hill" and "Aerie Fortress".
** Much of the boss tracks, ''especially'' the Kong fights.
* CatharsisFactor: You know what really relieves stress after a long day at work? '''Punching ninja monkeys in the face.'''
* DesignatedHero: There are two versions of the game's plot. One is the one described on the main page, the other has DK basically trying to prove he's the biggest badass out there.
* HilariousInHindsight: Most of the game consists of Donkey Kong fighting other apes and monkeys. Then came [[VideoGame/DonkeyKongCountryTropicalFreeze Ba-Boom the Boisterous.]]
* SugarWiki/MomentOfAwesome: Any and all of the "Kong" boss fights.
** This game received a lot of hate for essentially not being ''Donkey Kong Country''. It's had its defenders since day one though.
** The ''New Play Control!''-version. Many of the controls and mechanics have been changed, including changes to the stages.