* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: Doctor Aybolit, the Russian expy, is very well known, although the best known work about him is an original poem rather than the shortened translations of Lofting's works.
* UnfortunateImplications: Profound. One example from the first book: Prince Bumpo of Africa asks the Doctor to make him white, so that the Sleeping Beauty won't run away from him.
** The revised edition has him asking to be able to grow a lion's mane in order to make himself brave.
** On the plus side, Bumpo is depicted more positively than many white characters and certainly is no sillier then they are. Unlike Matthew the Cat's Meat Man, Bumpo is a useful member of the crew of the Flounder in ''Voyages of Doctor Dolittle'' and the narrator, nine-year-old Stebbins, is flattered to be treated as an equal by a prince and an Oxford student. Bumpo's skin color is not an issue.
* ValuesDissonance: Although a FriendToAllLivingThings, the Doctor seems to have no trouble with eating sausages, even in front of Gub-Gub the pig. Then again, many real life pigs have no problem eating pork products themselves.
** [[AvertedTrope Averted]] in the 1967 movie. The Doctor is a vegan.
!!The 1967 film
* MagnumOpusDissonance: Apparently no one on the film production liked the song "Talk to the Animals," but that is the song that won the Oscar for Best Original Song and since has become the signature music of the whole media property.
* RhymingWithItself: Kinda. "Talk To The Animals" rhymes "lion" with "sea-lion".