* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: Doctor Aybolit, the Russian expy, is very well known, although the best known work about him is an original poem rather than the shortened translations of Lofting's works.
* ValuesDissonance: Although a FriendToAllLivingThings, the Doctor seems to have no trouble with eating sausages, even in front of Gub-Gub the pig. Then again, many real life pigs have no problem eating pork products themselves.
** [[AvertedTrope Averted]] in the 1967 movie. The Doctor is a vegan, hinting in a song sequence that being able to understand the complaints of Gub-Gub and other animals essentially guilt-tripped him into it.
!!The 1967 film
* FridgeBrilliance: Dr. Dolittle's ImprobableFoodBudget is actually explained when he talks about how his animal clients can't pay him with money, but still try to pay him by giving him offerings of their own foodstuff. Dolittle might not eat worms and leaves and the like, but he can keep it and use it to feed his houseguests!
* MagnumOpusDissonance: Apparently no one on the film production liked the song "Talk to the Animals," but that is the song that won the Oscar for Best Original Song and since has become the signature music of the whole media property.
** Also, while Fox wanted a CashCowFranchise [[ThisIsGoingToBeHuge out of this movie]]. Instead, they got from a production they allowed producer Arthur P. Jacobs to make as compensation for [[TroubledProduction all the hell he went through]], ''Film/PlanetOfTheApes1968''.
* RhymingWithItself: Kinda. "Talk To The Animals" rhymes "three lions" with "sea-lions".