* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: In the Swiss version of the sketch, one could get the impression that Miss Sophie is so demented that she actually thinks her guests are present. In the German version, however, she seems to realize that it's all make-believe.
* AmericansHateTingle: The sketch has never been broadcast on British TV, and despite being inextricably associated with Britain by Europeans, is almost unknown there. Once, a documentary about Germany showed it to a British TV audience, who unanimously thought it was pitiful stuff.
* GermansLoveDavidHasselhoff: Germans Love Freddie Frinton. However, the feeling was never mutual. Frinton hated Germans, and was initially very reluctant to perform his trademark sketch for German television.
* HilariousInHindsight: The lines "Same procedure as last year"/"The same procedure as every year" is a perfect example of this trope, since the sketch has been shown every year for decades in Germany and several other European countries.
* MyRealDaddy: Freddie Frinton, so very much. He didn't write the original sketch, but added a lot of the gags and slapstick that made it memorable. And he was the one most famous for performing it, even before it was recorded for tv.
* TheyJustDidntCare: Norwegian broadcasters always show this sketch on the 23rd of December, even though they know that everyone else shows it on New Year's Eve.