* BreatherLevel: Bluey is significantly easier than Tricky is, despite being the second world's boss.
* BrokenBase: The DS port. On one hand, it adds a ton of new content, like new tracks, new modes, new characters, new music, and even new fun doodads to mess with (like the Sound Recorder). On the other hand, the new quickstart is a ScrappyMechanic, the hovercraft is much more difficult to control, Banjo and Conker are lost to the copyright gods, the new voice clips are crappy, and trophy races and battle modes are no longer possible in single player. Fans are ''very'' divided.
** Tiny Kong's older MsFanservice redesign in the same port. Some loved it, while others missed old Tiny and thought fanservicing up a child character was creepy.
%%* CounterpartComparison: Wizpig seems like a beefed up version of [[WesternAnimation/DaveTheBarbarian Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy]]. They're both pig sorcerors and the BigBad of their respective appearances.
* CrowningMomentOfAwesome: The ending after you beat Wizpig the second time.
** Before that, the lighthouse transforming into a rocket to take you to Future Fun Land.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: As expected from a Creator/DavidWise soundtrack. Some gems include:
** The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idEFyvBfz74 Intro theme]] in all of its glory.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tzUrkrlyM Spaceport Alpha's theme]] is very awesome, which is good because you'll be playing the Silver Coin challenge quite a lot.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSQceJDRRA Darkmoon Caverns]], one of the most infectious and varied pieces in the soundtrack. Doubles as the first credits theme.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73p_wgBdmJw&hd=1 Pirate Lagoon]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1StmqQRfkA Crescent Island]], also used as the second credits theme.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5yJypyyRo Hot Top Volcano,]] one of the most iconic tracks from the game (in both the musical and gameplay senses.) It's timed ''exactly'' such that when you typically hit the final lap and speed up, the drum breakdown kicks in...
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yXk6CfOUNI The lobby/select your level music]], which doubles as an EarWorm.
** The DS version gave tracks that previously shared their music with another track their own themes. Exhibit A: [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JCGpcFHuzU The new Jungle Falls.]] [[OminousLatinChanting Upbeat Tribal Chanting]] + a seriously catchy xylophone line = awesome.
** The DS version's [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFz_OgUHDY Snowball Valley.]] Not only does it sound more Christmassy than the original music, it has an infectious clapping-and-jingle-bell breakdown near the end.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrMG7v__3t0 The new Spaceport Alpha theme]] (with the old theme still being used in Spacedust Alley.) It has a great, mysterious outer-space feel to it.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QW1sWvSmFY Strangled Shrine]], used for one of the DS-exclusive tracks. It's evocative of the already fantastic Hot Top Volcano theme, but more watery, which is pretty much what Strangled Shrine is. The brass stings are pretty epic, too.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMh1hvk1KE Wizpig Challenge]], the song that plays when you race Wizpig in both big final showdowns, is appropriately badass and intense.
** Pipsy was used by most people, male or female, because she combined adorable characteristics with a simple and effective style for racing.
** Also Tiptup, who had ''slightly'' higher top speed and ''slightly'' lower acceleration and handling, and went on to cameo in VideoGame/BanjoKazooie ([[YourSizeMayVary where, contrary to this game, he is considerably bigger than Banjo.]])
** And T.T.? Apart from being a great host and mentor, [[spoiler: as a playable character, he broke the game, to say the least]].
* FridgeLogic: Why does Taj the helpful genie have all the balloons you need to win the game (and withhold them from you until you win a race)? Wizpig stole them all.
** FridgeBrilliance: Perhaps when he first appears, Taj had just finished taking the balloons back, but he doesn't consider himself ready to take on Wizpig and decided to give the balloons to the racers as they proved themselves ready over the course of the game?
** If you unlock [[spoiler: T.T.]], practically every race becomes a joke. Thankfully when put into the hands of a computer, he drives at a much lower top speed.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAlLkgu8zE The Acceleration Glitch]] is a GoodBadBug that allows you to go faster than your normal top speed. It allows you to take down certain bosses (and clear certain T.T. times) with ease.
* GoodBadBugs: Tapping A rather than holding it while racing in the car makes it perpetually gain speed, to the point where it's actually possible to lap Wizpig.
* ItWasHisSled: There is a fifth world, Future Funland. You get there by having 1st place trophies in the four worlds and colliding with the signpost placard that displays them.
* MostAnnoyingSound: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlXSGtGEL00 "No no no! Wrong way!"]]
** The sound that plays when you try to enter an area you haven't unlocked yet. Doubles as HellIsThatNoise because it's loud, sudden, and can be triggered by just going ''near'' a door, meaning that you'll probably hear it by innocently stumbling upon something new for the first time.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3nBr7ix_4 The little triumphant jingle that plays if you win a race.]]
** The epic whooshing sound that you hear if you activate a level 3 speed boost.
** T.T. saying "Power up!"
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZH82T3Ht4M This cutscene]] that plays when you go back out into the main hub area after collecting all the pieces of the Wizpig Amulet. In short, the giant stone head of Wizpig in the hub world ''comes alive and begins laughing medically'' after being restored to full flesh before giving the camera, which is slowly zooming in on the eyes, a DeathGlare.
** [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6DEZAdfeH4 The sting that plays]] when you lose a battle stage or a Wizpig race can send chills down anyone's spine, let alone those of kids.
* ParanoiaFuel: [[DownplayedTrope Downplayed.]] The hub-world can seem somewhat eerie and creepy thanks to the game's ObviousBeta status.
* StopHelpingMe: It is rather easy to trigger dialogue with T.T. as he's wandering about the level hubs, even if you don't intend to. Especially pesky in the DS version, where he doesn't actually do anything ''useful'' besides make comments.
* ThatOneBoss: Bubbler the octopus is a very difficult race. The second race is even harder. And the second race against Wizpig himself.
** Wizpig is somewhat excusable, given his role as the FinalBoss. The second race against Tricky... ''argh''.
*** Tricky's not ''too'' tough if you know where the shortcut in the mountain is.
** Bubbler's second race is considered by many people to be the toughest race in the game, next to Wizpig's races on Adventure 2.
** The ''first'' race against Wizpig is damn near IMPOSSIBLE unless you know what to do. You need to use the zipper trick (let go of the gas before getting a boost) to beat it. Unfortunately it's quite possible for players to [[GuideDangIt never to get this bit of info]], since it only shows up randomly after bosses. If players don't know the zipper trick, the ''one'' way to beat Wizpig is trying to get a boost start and stay in front of Wizpig all the time, hoping his foot will hit the player as he runs, pushing the kart forward. It requires insane timing as messing the position of your car up will result in Wizpig squashing you. Wizpig's first race is either a GuideDangIt or a LuckBasedMission.
*** Even if a player receives Taj's hint concerning the zipper trick, it's quite possible that they will not interpret it correctly. If you release the gas while going over a zipper, the boost will be green instead of the usual purple, and you may incorrectly conclude that you have executed the zipper trick. This is wrong. In order to get the full effect, you must keep your finger off the gas until you see rainbow smoke. This is very unintuitive if you're desperately trying to keep up with Wizpig.
*** There's also a special acceleration trick which only works on cars. Due to the immediate acceleration bump when you press the A button being so great with cars that it can override the designated top speed, repeatedly tapping the A button can make you go up to 10 mph faster than you're supposed to. This doesn't work with hovercrafts or airplanes, however, or when you're driving a car on off-track terrain, and seems to be a glitch since you're never told about it as an actual hint.
* ThatOneLevel: Many of the normal levels during the Silver Coin Challenge, but especially Greenwood Village.
** This gets ''much'' worse in Future Fun Land, particularly Spaceport Alpha.
** Adventure 2 makes it even worse by changing the locations of some of the coins, so you can't just go off of where they were in Adventure 1.
* ThatOneSidequest: Unlocking [[spoiler: T.T.]] as a playable character requires beating his best time on every track. And he's ''good.'' In the original, this means unlocking the fifth and final world... In the remake, this means both unlocking the final world ''and'' buying all the tracks in the [[spoiler:D.K. Jungle]] world. Of course, once you get [[spoiler:T.T.]], you have no excuse for losing to anyone ever. You practically need Drumstick to get some of the tracks, like Darkmoon Caverns.
** In the remake, getting all the balloons in the "Balloon Touch Challenge" can be frustrating for some courses. In fact, it is oftentimes the courses that are otherwise the easiest to race on where they are the hardest, since those courses are shorter and so there are more balloons in one area, forcing you to tap like mad to get them all before they pass by for good.