* EnsembleDarkhorse: Draco Black. Even the author has commented on the unexpected popularity of the character. News that the character [[spoiler:was apparently going to die in the not-too-distant future]] caused much outcry among the fandom.
* EvenBetterSequel: The author's work has improved over time.
* GrowingTheBeard: The author was still learning how to tell a story in the early chapters; it [[SurprisinglyImprovedSequel improves]] [[EvenBetterSequel greatly]] [[SequelEscalation with]] [[UpToEleven time]].
* HilariousInHindsight: Anne Walsh wasn't [[AVeryPotterMusical the only one]] to use the "Danger" - "Granger" rhyme...
** Nor was she the only one to mention that learning about Portkeys could come in handy.
** Or a hidden swimming pool.
** Helga Hufflepuff's nickname being "[[Music/LadyGaga Gaga]]" might qualify.
* MarySue: The titular character is a Werewolf Tamer and can speak to Remus via telepathy.
** Though she's less annoying than most examples given how she's not a FlatCharacter.
* NightmareFuel: The methods the purebloods use to perpetuate the family line. A pureblood daughter is either [[MortonsFork given a list]] or has the decision on whom to marry made for her; she is then dosed up with a fertility potion and locked in a room with her 'husband.' Oh, and her kind parents make sure to cast silencing charms on the room so they can claim they never heard the screaming.
* ScheduleSlip: it took 5 years for Facing Danger (book 4) to be completed. Surpassing Danger (book 5) is thus far averaging slightly less than one chapter per month.