* AnticlimaxBoss: You'd think the actual endboss of an [=SNK=] game would be an SNKBoss, but compared to [[ThatOneBoss Those Three Or Four Bosses]] and [[NintendoHard the annoyingly hard]] [[TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon stage]] you go through before the final battle, [[spoiler:DYNA]] is almost insultingly easy.
** Averted in one of the few good gameplay changes in the Game Boy Color remake - [[spoiler: Draygon]] is fought after [[spoiler: DYNA]].
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The whole game (at least [[PortingDisaster the NES version]]) is made of this, but especially the music for Fort Shyron. You definitely get a feel for the residents' desperate struggle against [[TheEmpire Draygon and his army]].
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwKgq4v3LmE&fmt=18 Wild Fields]]
* DemonicSpiders: Dear Lord, the wizards in [[ThatOneLevel the Pyramid Basement]] right before TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon. Not only can they [[BalefulPolymorph hit you with a spell that turns you into a helpless slime]], but their elemental resistances are set up so that you have to take them out [[WithThisHerring With This]] [[strike:Herring]] [[strike:Butter Knife]] [[WithThisHerring Sword of Wind]]. Oh, and did I mention that they have craploads of Hit Points? Good luck getting to the rematch with Draygon without burning through your supply of [[RareCandy Fruits of Repun]] and using all your magic points flying in a (sometimes vain) effort to avoid them.
* GameBreaker: The Warrior Ring, which enables you to fire off the first level of your charged attack with just a button tap. You don't get it until the endgame, but it allows you to rip through anything vulnerable to a level one blast from the weapon in question. Note that this does work with the Crystalis sword, and [[spoiler: the final boss is vulnerable to this]], which is a big part of why it's an AnticlimaxBoss. Notable that all of the bosses immune to this all fall under ThatOneBoss.
** This troper has experimented in the final battle with [[spoiler: DYNA]] and found that Crystalis can do that ''naturally,'' [[FridgeLogic making even the one level of charge the sword has irrelevant]].
* GoddamnedBats: Bats, birds, harpy-looking things...really, any enemy in the game that can fly. Near the end of the game, you get Toxic butterflies that, upon being killed, release clouds that poison you if you touch them. Once you get the Warrior Ring and armor that has immunity to poison then you're mostly safe, but then the helicopter droids in TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon can get you just from the sheer amount of damage you take from them and the fact that they're ''everywhere.''
* PortingDisaster: The Game Boy Color port of the game, released a decade later, makes alterations to the game mechanics that make things ''harder'' than the original, among other things.
** To some, the complete sundering of the plot to something much more basic and boring is even worse.
* ThatOneBoss: Pick a member of Draygonian Empire (Well, Kelbesque and Sabera aren't too bad.) The rematch with Mado in Goa Fortress is particularly noteworthy for the same reason [[VideoGame/MegaMan2 Quick Man]] is noteworthy: he bounces around the room much too quickly to be hit reliably while happily plowing into you in return.