* DieForOurShip: During the ''Jack The Ripper'' arc, the love triangle between Emelyne, Cain and Merediana. Before [[spoiler: [[MurderTheHypotenuse Emelyne got murdered]]]] there was a huge split among the fans who began to hate Merediana and heavily support Emelyne-Cain.
* FoeYay: Cain and Jizabel.
* HollywoodHomely: Drew in the ''Scold's Bridle'' story arc is supposed to be unattractive, which in the art style's terms translates to red hair, glasses and a slightly curvier build than the other female characters.
** Emelyne Lauderdale considered herself as having been butt-ugly as a child, to the point that she even wore servants' clothes because she was convinced better clothes wouldn't look good on her. Her face as a child isn't shown until later at which point she looks childish and the only "flaw" in her face are a few freckles.
* MagnificentBastard: Cain, [[spoiler:Alexis, and ultimately, Augusta. Apparently, ItRunsInTheFamily]].
* NightmareFuel: The sheer creepiness of how all the gory murders Cain investigates follow nursery rhymes that are already rather disturbing. Then, there's [[http://www.mangahere.com/manga/count_cain/v03/c002/5.html this]].
* TearJerker: ''Everywhere,'' especially the last three volumes.
* TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodCharacter: The ''Jester''. The white-haired violinist Owl. Upon properly introducing himself, he flat out admits that he's the Jester with the number 0, so he is no-one's subordinate and can do as he pleases. It's even mentioned that he and Cain met when they were younger and played music together. Owl seems to have a twisted view of the world, relishing in seeing the world ending, but would rather be an observer than an instigator. And [[spoiler: after Alexis dies and]] the end of the world is once again put on hold, Owl waits for the next person to come along who will fulfill the role. He sounds interesting and as if his character could be made much more, maybe even a protagonist of his own story, but he disappears in the final chapter.