* AngelDevilShipping: Well, shipping [[HoYay Gerald and Damien]]. Combines a bit with MindGameShip.
* HoYay: Bucket loads of it between Gerald and Damien. In fact, it's impossible to find any fanfiction that's not slash.
** It probably has something to do with the [[FoeYay mix of hatred, respect, and grudging admiration (that last one at least for Damien) they have for each other]].
** In the first book, Damien spends more time thinking about Tarrant then he does even thinking about Ciani during their journey. Sure, it's nothing positive at first, but by the third book, him and Tarrant are nearly on FirstNameBasis and SnarkToSnarkCombat terms.
* MagnificentBastard: Gerald Tarrant. He's lived a thousand years and committed more than enough atrocities in that span of time, but he's so brilliant, charismatic, and determined it's hard not to at least root for him.
* MoralEventHorizon: Essentially, Tarrant had to cross this to gain his immortality--he did it by killing his family. Damien spends most of the series trying to drag him back.
* TrueNeutral: Loremasters like Ciani, who are more interested in knowledge for knowledge's sake rather than the morality in using that knowledge.