* AdaptationDisplacement: Based on a novel that seems to be largely forgotten today.
* AwesomeMusic: While the film as a whole was considered by critics to be one of the most sour films of the 1980's (it was ironically released the same year as Touchstone's masterpiece, ''Film/WhoFramedRogerRabbit''), the soundtrack had some good tracks, including featuring the debut of Music/TheBeachBoys' "Kokomo".
* CriticProof: Got scathing reviews and won the Worst Picture Razzie of 1988, but was a giant financial success.
* DesignatedVillain: Jordan's father is a villain in the latter half of the film purely because he won't let Brian and Jordan get back together. Brian being the same man who despite falling in love with Jordan immediately cheated on her with an older woman, and who didn't exactly have a positive reaction to the news that Jordan was pregnant with his child. Even though Mr. Mooney ended up disowning Jordan when she took Brian back, considering Brian's track record to that point his condemnation and derision of Brian was perfectly justified.
* EarWorm: ''Many'' of the songs used in the film, but especially "Addicted to Love".
-->Might as well face it, you're addicted to love!
** Also "Kokomo".
-->Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to / Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama / Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go...
* HoYay: Brian and Doug's relationship is more of a driving force in the plot than the love story - by the end, Doug even says that Brian is the only person he's ever cared about. [[spoiler: And his suicide note starts off "My Dearest Brian..."]]