* AdaptationDisplacement: Based on a novel that seems to be largely forgotten today.
* AwesomeMusic: While the film as a whole was considered by critics to be one of the most sour films of the 1980's (it was ironically released the same year as Touchstone's masterpiece, ''Film/WhoFramedRogerRabbit''), the soundtrack had some good tracks, including featuring the debut of Music/TheBeachBoys' "Kokomo".
* CriticProof: Got scathing reviews and won the Worst Picture Razzie of 1988, but was a giant financial success.
* EarWorm: ''Many'' of the songs used in the film, but especially "Addicted to Love".
-->Might as well face it, you're addicted to love!
** Also "Kokomo".
-->Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to / Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama / Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go...
* HoYay: Brian and Doug's relationship is more of a driving force in the plot than the love story - by the end, Doug even says that Brian is the only person he's ever cared about. [[spoiler: And his suicide note starts off "My Dearest Brian..."]]