* AwardSnub: While the movie was a box office hit and a critical favorite, it didn't rack up a lot of nominations. Partly because it was viewed as a low-key work for Spielberg who by that time was making one epic movie after another. His other 2002 film, ''MinorityReport'', was similarly snubbed despite universal acclaim and box office success.
** Most notably, fans of [[LeonardoDiCaprio DiCaprio]] will point to this as one of his more joyous performances, and will say that this would have made for a great nomination.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: We're used to JohnWilliams creating bombastic, thrilling orchestral music. Here, he goes with a jazzy, HenryMancini inspired score and ''makes it work''.
* DracoInLeatherPants: The RealLife Frank Abagnale Jr. felt that the movie did this to him, giving the "character" a more sympathetic backstory. Abagnale [[WordOfGod went on record]] saying he pulled the cons he did, [[WellDoneSonGuy not to impress his father]], [[ItAmusedMe but because he could.]]
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Christopher Walken pretty much steals the whole film with his performance as Frank's dad. A well-earned Oscar nomination.
** Frank's father breaking down in tears while remembering seeing Frank's mother onstage in a little town in France when he was a soldier during WWII and marrying her weeks later.
** Also, [[spoiler:Frank finding out his father died and that his mother has re-married and started a new family]].
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotSymbolic: When Frank first starts his cons, he's shown pressing a check in a hotel Bible; also all of the scenes set at Christmas time.