* [[AwesomeMusic/CapcomVsWhatever Awesome Music - Capcom vs. Whatever]]
* CharacterTiers: In a case which can be likened to that of ''[[VideoGame/MarvelVsCapcom2 Marvel vs. Capcom 2]]'', the top tiers consist almost exclusively of Capcom characters, with SNK characters such as [[VideoGame/TheLastBlade Hibiki]], [[VideoGame/FatalFury Geese]], and [[VideoGame/FatalFury Rock]] edging their way into upper/high-mid and the middle and lower/low-mid tiers mostly featuring SNK characters (cue jokes that, since Capcom developed the game, they intentionally gimped SNK's side). Unlike ''[=MvC2=]'', the high and mid tiers are still quite good in the right hands, many of them even seeing their fair share of TournamentPlay. The viability of several characters is actually independent of picks/counterpicks. On top of that, the Groove System adds another layer of depth (the strategies and nuisances of characters are bound to change due to the wide range of gameplay mechanics offered between each Groove), and while certain Grooves are better than others, "weaker" Grooves such as P-Groove and S-Groove can still be deadly up against users of the other four Grooves if utilized properly. It's not ''quite'' as unbalanced as some would have you believe.
* CultClassic: While ''Marvel vs. Capcom 2'' might very well be the most well-known of all the ''Vs.'' games, there are members of the FGC who argue that ''[=MvC2=]'' is more than a bit overrated ([[HypeBacklash if not outright undeserving of the magnanimous praise it gets]] [[note]]yes, there is something of a FandomRivalry over which of the two is the real MagnumOpus of the ''Vs.'' series, despite the fact that, if anything, they're compliments to one another[[/note]]) while ''[=CvS2=]'' was overlooked as a result. As such, ''[=CvS2=]''-proponents feel it didn't receive the kind of acclaim it should have for a game of such depth and complexity. [[http://iplaywinner.com/news/2012/3/7/running-it-back-why-capcom-vs-snk-2-is-one-of-the-best-games.html This article sums it all up quite nicely.]]
* GameBreaker: [[GoodBadBugs Roll canceling]] [[note]]quickly canceling the first three frames of any ground roll into a special or super; on top of this, the inputted move gains the properties of the roll, meaning that the RC'd move is invincible (although it ''can'' be thrown out of if the move isn't airborne or a move that already has invincible properties such as a DP)[[/note]]. In fact, during the 2002 EVO tourney (in which 20 Japanese players attended), most of the Americans didn't learn to employ roll canceling; most of the Japanese players did, leading to Japan dominating the standings (the only top U.S. finishers were 3rd and a two-man tie for 7th), with Tokido blowing up not only the other Japanese finalist (Nuki), but America's top placer (Ken, who ''did'' know how to roll cancel). What mitigates [=RCing=]'s claim as a GameBreaker (even if slightly) is that, aside of the practice necessary to perfect its execution, the skill is available to every character, some of whom can benefit from its effects when faced with a bad match-up. Roll canceling has widely been accepted as a legitimate factor in high-level play since. In fact, their removal in the [=GameCube=] and Xbox versions (''EO'') is one of the reasons those ports weren't received as well as the [=PS2=] and Dreamcast ones.
** It goes without saying that the "boss-tier" characters (Evil Ryu, Orochi Iori, Shin Akuma, and God Rugal) are banned from tournaments.
*** Oddly enough those characters aren't nearly as viable as the top tiers due to their incredibly low health (they die in 1-2 hits or a super), and the sheer number of options and moves in the game. Roll canceling, custom combos, etc, make it so many of their tactics can be easily nullified.
* GameplayDerailment: Again, roll cancels.
* ThatOneAttack: [[OriginalGeneration The new version]] of Shin Akuma (fueled by the [[VideoGame/TheKingOfFighters Orochi power]]) possesses what is perhaps the deadliest and most [[InvisibilityFlicker instantaneous]] [[OneHitKill deathmove]] ''ever'': [[DeathFromAbove Misogi]]. The moment you hear the super activation chime, ''pray.''
* TierInducedScrappy: Watching high-level matches with most matches consisting of Sakura/Bison/Blanka can get annoying to some people after a while.
** Though using advanced attacks with Bison and Sakura took plenty of practice, especially their custom combos known as "Paint The Fence" and "Shosho" because of the motions and sounds of them.