* AcceptableReligiousTargets: Sonja and Julian, who are Scientologists.
** Hank makes frequent jokes about Marcy and Charlie, who are Jewish. Marcy retorts once by calling Karen too "Presbyterian".
** [[NaughtyNuns The opening scene of the pilot]].
* CrossesTheLineTwice: A lot of things which are hilarious in this show would be really messy in RealLife.
* DudeNotFunny: Sometimes a scene fails to [[CrossesTheLineTwice cross the line the second time]]
** [[spoiler: Charlie trying to rape his ex-wife]] is one of the more hilarious examples.
* FunnyAneurysmMoment: The third episode features a porn star who asks Hank if she should get breast implants, even though he points out that her breasts are fantastic. The character was played by actual porn star Brooke Banner, who though famous for her natural breasts, went on to get implants a few years later.
* HilariousInHindsight: Why no, David Duchovny, [[SarcasmMode absolutely no one thought you had a sex addiction]].
* HoYay: Hank and Charlie have some discussion of this in season three, although it never gets past the comfortable joking around stage.
** They do cross into that territory a lot though, such as Charlie complementing Hank's penis size.
** [[AnythingThatMoves Richard Bates]] and Hank. Although Hank doesn't really reciprocate, he doesn't protest (not even when Bates kissed him in season 6) because he finds Bates so amusing.
* ManChild : To varying degrees, most of the men in the show--despite tremendous career success--are drunk and irresponsible without much care or consequence.
* MartyStu: Hank. Seriously, a woman-hunting, hard-drinking, successful writer who somehow always comes out on top? This is a male writer's fantasy life.
* SeasonalRot: The opinion of a few fans and critics. Generally seen as occurring after the first 3 seasons or so, when the characters started to suffer more from turning more into caricatures.
* TearJerker : Could also double as CrowningMomentofHeartwarming. In the season 2 finale, the opening scene as Hank finishes typing his manuscript with Warren Zevon on the stereo [[spoiler: Ashby appears, converses briefly, then says "It's true what they say. Got a hell of a band." Then he disappears and we find out he did OD.]]
* TheScrappy: Season 4 has seen a marked downturn in the ability of the audience to tolerate Becca's whining, monotone and flat character and an annoying sub-plot involving a bunch of just as annoying try-hard 'bad chicks' and their garage band. Check out the IMDB forum for one place where this crops up as a BaseBreaker topic.
* TheWoobie: Oh Becca, why can't you find a NiceGuy to have a sweet, non-overly sexual, first/second relationship with?