* BrokenBase: Over the 2008 film. Some fans enjoyed it and considered it a worthy period piece, while its detractors flamed its pacing, its casting, or for the introduction of a love triangle that was absent for the book. Others say that it can't be blamed for trying to fit Waugh's vast commentary into a two-hour film, preferring the much longer miniseries (which is lauded for its loyalty to the book).
* DawsonCasting: The story begins with Charles and Sebastian as first year undergraduates so presumably they are 18/19 years old despite both Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews being well into their 30s. Other cast members playing their contemporaries are about the same age as well.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Sebastian's teddy bear Aloysius. There was a fair bit of brouhaha when it was thought he would be absent from the movie.
* HoYay: Charles and Sebastian's relationship is open to interpretation in the book; the miniseries takes it UpToEleven while still retaining plausible deniability; and the movie makes Sebastian's sexuality/attraction to Charles explicit [[spoiler:via a chaste kiss]] while still keeping Charles's reciprocity ambiguous (and, predictably, [[ButNotTooGay playing up his attraction to Julia)]].
** In both the miniseries and the movie, Sebastian and Anthony Blanche greet each other with a kiss on the lips.
* ValuesDissonance: Cancels itself out in terms of attitudes towards Charles and Sebastian's relationship. In the time period when the book is set, homosexuality was taboo, ''but'' [[HeterosexualLifePartners romantic friendship]] between men was still somewhat accepted. Thus, people tolerate the boys' friendship, not because they are accepting of homosexuality, but because they do not see it as homosexual.
* TheWoobie: [[spoiler: Sebastian]] is a beautiful and lively young man at the beginning of the novel, but his family betrays him, his best friend betrays him, his lover is taken from him by the Nazis, and he spends the rest of his life as a hermetic hanger-on at an isolated monastery, with plenty of alcoholic misery along the way.