* SugarWiki/AwesomeMoments: Danny and Solomon need to cross a bridge at one point. [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5rSlG2GySU With the right gun skills and a cap, they get past the guards quite effectively.]]
** Solomon's shovel-armed, [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH9k646okTg literal]] RoaringRampageOfRevenge against [[spoiler:Poison]].
* HomegrownHero: It's about a Rhodesian and a Sierra Leonese surviving the Sierra Leone Civil War... with the obligatory bystander/love interest being an American journalist.
* NightmareFuel: ''Every'' scene.
** 'You risk my life like that again... and I'll peel your face back off your head.'
* SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped: The stuff about diamond mines being run by slave labor because the diamond industry really doesn't care how many puppies are raped in the name of profits? Actually mostly true.
** Fun fact: Supposedly, De Beers diamond company, suspected (though unproven) of making a deal with Executive Outcomes during the conflict, had their sales drop after the film's plot was made public.
** It also emphasizes that even people who have engaged in evil have the potential to [[HeelFaceTurn consciously choose good and redeem themselves]]. This is shown in the film through a real-life home for former child soldiers which, through kind treatment, gives them a chance at a normal life.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: Creator/JenniferConnelly's character had a tear digitally added to her face when [[spoiler:Danny calls her cell phone as he's about to die]]. In a movie filled with plenty of real tears ([[TearJerker probably including some from the audience]]) the fact that this one is fake is ''really obvious''.
** There's also one during the firefight where the press convoy is attacked. The van Danny and co. escape in gets its rear window shattered out by bullets, [[BulletsDoNotWorkThatWay but the front window remains completely intact.]]