* AuthorsSavingThrow: Besides the simple fact of our getting a Black Widow story outside of the issues surrounding getting a movie going, ''Forever Red'' also casually reveals that the Avengers actually were told at some point that Phil Coulson is still alive.
* CompleteMonster: [[BigBad Ivan Somodorov]], from ''Literature/BlackWidow: Forever Red'', Natasha's EvilMentor, was a former instructor at the [[SpySchool Red Room]], and was known and feared throughout the institution for [[SadistTeacher his intense cruelty toward his students]], all [[WouldHurtAChild barely teenage children]]; Ivan subjected his students to horrific [[MindRape emotional]] and physical abuse, and would then psychologically tear them down completely before reforming them into emotionless weapons with the sole purpose of assassination. After strong-arming numerous scientists into his service by threatening their lives and those of their families, Ivan forced them to build him the O.P.U.S., a machine that used [[ElectricTorture electroshock torture]] to impant into its victims a latent assassination programming; Ivan used this technology almost solely on children, before [[YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness murdering all those who assisted him in the project]]. After implanting his dozens of new, unknowing, soldiers into various governments, Ivan planned to use them worldwide to kill hundreds of high-ranking government officials, scientists, and anyone who could get in his way, at which point he would use his new army of assassins to institute his own government and TakeOverTheWorld. When ComicBook/BlackWidow attempts to thwart his plan, Ivan sics his ChildSoldiers on her, knowing she will be forced to go easy on them. Black Widow has dealt with tyrants, assassins, and superpowered monsters throughout her career, but Ivan Somdorov was the worst of them all.
* FanPreferredCouple: By default of no longer being together, her and Bucky became this for comic audiences. With the films, her and Clint is also the most popular het couple, but even there Bucktasha is still popular.
** Her lack of a film in the MCU is probably one of the most well-known criticisms fans of the MCU, and in particular Black Widow fans in general, have of the franchise.
** Her tendency to get ShipTease with different male characters in each film (Tony Stark in ''Iron Man 2'', Clint Barton in ''The Avengers'' [though a lot of people considered this platonic], Steve Rogers in ''Captain America: The Winter Soldier'' [again, it's actually platonic in the film but advertisements for the film hinted at it differently], and Bruce Banner in ''Age of Ultron''). The latter was very contested and sometimes considered sexist because she was the team's only woman and her character arc was based on romance. Being romantically connected to her teammates is a [[OlderThanTheyThink trait of her comic self]], but it was still scrutinized for various reasons, such as whether that trait should be retired and whether the Banner romance counts as part of her FemmeFatale persona since it seems like sincere true love from her.
* ShipToShipCombat: Clintasha and Bucktasha fandoms don't have the best track record of getting along, resulting in many Clintasha fans bemoaning that she'd be prominent in ''Film/CaptainAmericaTheWinterSoldier'' as it was bringing in Bucky's present day self. And then it turned out that her MCU love interest was actually [[spoiler:''Bruce Banner'', though it didn't seem to last.]]
* SpotlightStealingSquad: The general criticism surrounding the book is that despite the fact that the book has Natasha's name plastered all over the cover the majority of the focus is really about Ava while Natasha plays a secondary role.