!The Cartoon Series
** Admit it. You came to this page from something related to ''WesternAnimation/HarveyBirdmanAttorneyAtLaw''.
** That or Music/WesleyWillis' song "Birdman Kicked My Ass".
** Or the 2014 movie starring Creator/MichaelKeaton.
* MemeticMutation: The distinctive way the title character shouts "Biiiiiiiiird-man!" at the end of the opening credits.
** Riggan's Birdman persona. Is he a malevolent presence that wants to torment Riggan? Or a gruff voice of reason meant to help Riggan by telling him the truth and boosting his ego? Or is he somewhere in between? A figure providing a mental crutch that simultaneously traps Riggan in his nostalgia and helps him get through the stress of his TroubledProduction?
** There are a lot of viewers who think Mike was actually attempting to rape Leslie on the stage in the bed due to her reaction, and those who think he was simply [[EnforcedMethodActing faking her out to give her that reaction]].
* AwardSnub: Although the film was nominated for 9, tying ''Film/TheGrandBudapestHotel'' for the most nominations, it received no nomination for Film Editing, which is strange considering how it's one of the most distinctive aspects of the film's style. Some also felt that Michael Keaton should've won for Best Actor at the Oscars over Eddie Redmayne for ''Film/TheTheoryOfEverything''.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: [[spoiler: Lesley and Laura]]'s [[GirlOnGirlIsHot lesbian kiss]] scene, which doesn't have any impact on the plot and is never mentioned again afterwards.
** Laura doesn't even get called out for cheating on Riggan.
* CriticalDissonance: In fact, as of its win at the 2015 Oscars, ''Birdman'' was the 2nd lowest-grossing Best Picture winner of all time. The only one that grossed less was ''Film/TheHurtLocker''. (Don't let the "lowest" statistic bother you though - despite that the film has made five times its budget in profit, so it was absolutely a success as a film.)
* GeniusBonus: Of course [[JorgeLuisBorges Borge's]] Labyrinths is the book Mike is reading while in the tanning booth. It's blatantly symbolic of him, Riggan, and the film's high art obsession along with the film's MagicalRealism elements.
* HeReallyCanAct: Despite losing the Oscar for Best Actor to Creator/EddieRedmayne, there's no denying that Michael Keaton delivers a stunning performance after over a decade of mediocre and secondary roles.
* HypeBacklash: Following it's Oscar Win for Big Picture, there was a slew of criticism that Birdman's victory was more Hollywood politically motivated due to it's numerous [[TakeThat Take Thats]] at the Superhero Genre.
* SignatureScene: The scene where Riggan walks through Times Square in nothing but his underwear.
* TrueArtIsAngsty: The movie depicts how the world of Broadway is embracing this trope. Riggan's suicide attempt is the icing on the cake.