* AwesomeEgo: For all his incompetence and short comings, Jack Burton's confidence and sarcasm are truly awesome to behold.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The... THING in the sewer. The only one who questions what the hell just happened is Jack, because RuleOfFunny.
** The hairy beast-thing that captures Gracie and later hitches a ride with Jack. No explanation for it is ever given.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03E9kUTTtQ Biiiiig trouble...In little China!]]
** Some of the other music ain't that bad either, with the main title, alley fight and Wing Kong Exchange themes being notable highlights.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: The Three Storms, Lightning in particular for being the inspiration for [[MortalKombat Raiden.]]
* FountainOfMemes: It's a movie from the 80's, so it's expected. Jack Burton in particular is extremely quotable.
* HilariousInHindsight: Or, possible, Awesome In Hindsight, with Lightning, a predecessor to Raiden of ''MortalKombat'', complete with NiceHat. Kitana's famous KissOfDeath fatality also references [[spoiler: Thunder's death]] very closely.
** Similarly, Rain of the same series not only uses water, but ended up gaining a ponytail and sword-fighting skills to better resemble Rain of the Three Storms. He even gained a fatality in ''MK9'' referencing [[spoiler: Thunder's death!]]
* MagnificentBastard: David Lo Pan [[MemeticMutation indeed!]]
* MemeticBadass: Jack Burton.
* MemeticMutation: To say the movie is quotable is an understatement.
** "Like 'ol Jack Burton says..."
** The main page quote detailing "light coming out of his mouth."
** [[spoiler: Thunder's death where he inflates.]] is often considered one of the goofier movie deaths.
** "It's all in the reflexes."
* NarmCharm: Much of the movie, some of it deliberately, but probably the most straight-up example is the "Magical Video Game Battle" between Lo Pan and Egg Shen. It is both awesome (as intended) and ''hilariously ridiculous''.
** Despite how incredibly fake and stupid it is, [[spoiler: Thunder blowing up like a balloon]] somehow works because of how funny it is.
* SocietyMarchesOn: Imagine the thug pulling out the revolver in an airport nowadays. There'd be a whole army of TSA agents on him in an instant.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: Given the movie is a parody of magical martial arts movies, some of it is bound to be intentional.
** [[spoiler: Thunder's]] mentioned explosion.
** The monsters aren't very realistic looking and are obvious effects/men in suits.
* VindicatedByHistory: Despite a positive test-screening, the movie bombed at the box office ([[ScrewedByTheNetwork No doubt due to 20th Century Fox's other film]] ''Aliens'' [[WhatAnIdiot being released the next week.]]) and critical opinions were negative enough to make Carpenter leave studio film work. Nowadays it's considered one of his best films by fans and critics alike.