* AdaptationDisplacement: Everybody knows about the movie, few have read, or even heard about the book.
** True for modern audiences, no doubt, but the book was the best-selling novel of the nineteenth century and was very popular far into the twentieth century. As of 2013, it has still never been out of print.
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: '''MiklosRozsa''' for the win. '''Big''' Fucking Movie gets '''Big''' Fucking [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaqlY8_4T90 Score.]]
* EndingFatigue: You'd think the story would end with Judah winning the chariot race.
** But the point of the whole story is to show that getting personal revenge over Massala was ultimately meaningless and that winning the race wasn't what allowed Judah to come to terms with his past. You can't get that by ending with the chariot race.
* HoYay: Between Ben-Hur and Messala, as stated on the main page.
** Come to think of it, there seemed to be a little something between Messala and his henchman Drusus as well.
* TearJerker: Many, though the scene where Judah learns the true fate of his mother and sister is probably the strongest.
* UnfortunateImplications: In light of the AmbiguouslyGay subtext concerning Messala (see main page) some might view his [[spoiler: death during the chariot race]] as gay bashing (made at a time when most people, not just Hollywood, saw homosexuality as some terrible perversion).
* SugarWiki/VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Even today the sea battle sequence is spectacular (even if the bright blue water breaks suspension of disbelief somewhat), to say nothing of the chariot race.